Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longbow Coaching

In the Blue The Fonz Award. Harold's Eye,It wasn't me's Avatar
    Thanks
    Cheers Geoff. I would say that any contact between draw hand and arrow should be avoided. I wonder if he is putting his fingers in the same place as he does with thin arrows but falling foul of the fact that his woodies are a bigger diameter? Obviously my personal preference is for a tab (see all above )
    If trees screamed would we still cut them down?
    Well, if they screamed constantly for no reason ..

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 930 Posts
    It seems that we both think longbow form, should be similar to recurve form. I am not saying that I am right in thinking that way but it does seem that if the body works better one way then bows of different styles could still be shot using the most efficient method.
    We have a longbow archer who has changed from one style to another and now is on a recurve type style and just gained his GMB status.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffretired For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Geoff - my brother-in-law suffers similarly with his fingers (shoots with a tab) but gets around it by taping them with fabric plaster. It doesn5 affec5 his ability to pile in huge scores in the slightest.

I can manage recurve style shooting on bows up to around 55-60# draw but over that then I switch to a much more traditional longbow draw, sometimes heard it called a war bow draw, which utilises a whole different set of muscles to do the business and looks quite odd to a season recurve archer.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 930 Posts
    Hi Karl,
    I have seen some very unusual draw cycles when guys draw very heavy warbows. One was 170 lbs and took two men to pull it down on the scales to weight it. He then drew and shot on his own, heehee. It seems to me that the unusual movements are there to build themselves up for the aggressive attack on the string that is necessary. I liken it to the way some high jumpers stand around doing all kinds of swings and sways. It is a sort of build up. Long jumpers do similar things; and weight lifters.
    Part of the archery moves, seem to be a way of getting the mind off the back and arms. The hands both move a long way in curving shapes in the air as if working around the "prey" hoping to catch it off guard. In some ways it's like a long lever moves a long way when used for lifting a heavy object just a small amount.

In the Red
    Thanks
    very small changes in hand or arrow nock position will make big differences so my advice is to get someone to check to see if they are doing everything the same shot after shot. Recurve basically puts the arrow in the same place on the bow all of the time and that isnt true for lb so you have to be aware of the smallest of changes from shot to shot. a 3mm change in hand position will move the hit on the target at 30m up or down by half the diameter of an 80cm target.
    The other thing to watch out for is string clearance on clothing/bracer.

In the Black I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.
    Thanks
    I would agree with other replies. Unless the archer is pulling a high poundage LB(and therefore possibly uses a different draw), then getting the fingers in the correct position is much better than using a glove to stop their finger rubbing. I would also go with a tab rather than a glove.
    Frostbite Shoot - A great chance to wear short sleeves in Winter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast