Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Progression awards (252)

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 939 Posts
    Yes, I hadn't thought of that.
    I suppose the bottom line is that the 252 scheme was designed for newer archers to give them a realistic goal at shorter distances; to get them started.
    When the other bow types, and really long distances were added, the difficulties you mention were not thought through, it seems. Using one score for all distances. for each bow type, assumes a progression in skill that generally happens for beginners; but only up to a point. That rate of improvement slows down over time and for many it stops below MB.
    To extend the 252 idea to 100y requires adjustments, as you suggested. BUT if the reasoning remains the same, i.e. getting most arrows in the boss at any distance so as reduce time wasted on looking in the grass, then the score required for all bow types, will be far more difficult for the longbow.

In the Red
    Thanks
    it is clear that the 252 scheme means different things to different clubs and people, perhaps that is why it is actually a popular thing.
    With regard to badges, Reading produce a fine badge that can be bought by other clubs and we get our button badges from a member of a nearly club who produces them quite easily and cheaply.
    many student Unions still have hand operated badge making machines they use for events and the like so universities may have many clubs at an advantage there.
    Already mentioned that we also use a variation for scores for other bow styles with longbow using a score that equates to 252 for recurve on the handicap charts, barebow beinga flat 189 and compound being 300 at short distances and then 292 for 50-100yds.
    It is actually our older members who have taken to the sceme with gusto, probably because they dotn see themselves as competitive (in relation to others) but still want to challenge themselves in some way. Perhaps this compensates for not having your handicap revised downwards as age takes its toll.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 939 Posts
    Nice post; helpful, too.

In the White
    Thanks
    Hi everyone, since I first posted this thread I have now got my 40yd badge, next challenge for this year is 50 yd ���� ��

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little brian For This Useful Post:

Windscale (26-02-19)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345