Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: bare shaft tuning wooden arrows

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If the shaft is flexing/waggling, then the angle it sticks in at will depend on the distance from archer to target.
    If you watch this extreme example you will see how the front of the arrow is pointing right (as it leaves the bow at about 10 secs) then left at 11 seconds.
    IMO the whole concept is flawed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOcrM7FMQSI
    Del
    (I admit my earlier comment was based on my thinking the arrows were hitting to the left... my bad for speed/skim reading )
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 939 Posts
    . All I'm saying is if you do an internet search for bare shaft tuning wooden arrows EVERY article/video/etc says if the nock is left the shaft is weak.
    I think the articles are correct, but only if you are at very short range and catch the arrow on its initial side to side wobble.
    There is more to arrow launch than flexing, the arrow also waves side to side. When the arrow lands in the boss it may be bent ,but that eventually straightens out.You are then left with the angle indicating the way the arrow was waving, at the point of impact.
    Fletchings draw the shaft into line but that overshoots dead ahead, so next phase of the waving will be the other way.
    Bareshafts wave and flex like fletched arrows, but the waving side to side does not go one way then the other as there is nothing to draw the tails back, so the waving continues in the initial direction despite the flexing. It's a bit like throwing a ball, if it is spinning head over heels at the start, it continues spinning head over heels till it hits something or stops. If the ball is thrown with back spin that continues until changed by outside forces.
    Most of us have seen bareshafts apparently flying in a curve. We do not see the flexing, that is too rapid to see.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Del the Cat View Post
    If the shaft is flexing/waggling, then the angle it sticks in at will depend on the distance from archer to target.
    If you watch this extreme example you will see how the front of the arrow is pointing right (as it leaves the bow at about 10 secs) then left at 11 seconds.
    IMO the whole concept is flawed.
    )

I agree. The only true indicator is the point of impact of the bare shaft in relation to a fletched shaft's point of impact That will tell you how much bare shaft planning is going on and in which direction it is going.
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Looking at that video again I think the arrow hit the bow at about 10 sec up to that point I would say the arrow is weak.
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    If everyone is testing at roughly the same distance, they can reasonably expect the arrow to be doing the same thing if it is behaving stiff or weak. So if everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet, I guess you can form an opinion. I can get my button tuned recurve to do that at 3 yds - nock right it's pushed too hard on the button=stiff shaft, nock left the button has shoved the nock out of line=weak shaft.
    It's still a terrible way to tune any bow, but better than nothing.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Thanks
    For a right handed archer, if the bare shaft *hits left* of the fletched arrows, it's considered stiff. If it *hits right*, it's considered weak.
    And this is the same for olympic recurves, trad recurves, or prim bows like the ELB. As well as for carbon, aluminium, and wood arrows.

The angle of the bare shaft in the target is another matter. Judging spine like that can be tricky, as the angle of the arrow in the target can be affected by the target material.
    Agreed. You need some solid experience for any arrow tuning, or at least an experienced archer helping you.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast