Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Case Of Bad Arrows?

In the White
    Thanks
    I just spent another session shooting them and watching arrow flight. I think it’s a spine problem. I am seeing some shafts fly true, whereas others are clearly unstable in flight, only just straightening up by 20 yards. By contrast, all my C1 arrows fly on an even keel even with a somewhat poor release. I’m just going to put this down to ‘lesson learned’. In the meantime I will refletch three with feathers and see if that helps. If it does, I will shoot a bunch of the bare shafts and junk any that don’t fly OK as bare shafts. I’ll then feather fletch the OK ones and see how long they last for 3D. I normally shoot target, but the (new to me) 3D course i will be going to is very tree heavy, so I can learn the course with arrows I don’t care for. As long as I can get them to group within about 4 inches at 20 yards (I shoot barebow), they have some value as ‘crash test dummies’.

Never again, Bearpaw. Never again.... these arrows are affordable, but they are not super cheap and so bad as to be pointless. I have plenty of arrows at a much lower price point that are vastly better than these. FWIW, Mybo Wildfire arrows (a Merlin brand) are phenomenal std. diameter arrows at per shaft including insert, uni bushing and nock.

P.S. I bought them from Merlin Archery, UK.

In the White
    Thanks
    Update:

I decided not to give up on these arrows, if only to learn from what has happened. I put the arrows I had been using on the spinner and saw that a couple were not as straight as I'd have hoped (nowhere near as bad as the rejects, but still...). I figured if straightness and spine were the issue, I could weed out anything less than dead straight and then feather fletch them for more stability in case of spine issues. I used fletching tape, so it was nice and quick and just shot six feather fletched (3" shield) shafts - six of the seven straight shafts from the original 12) - off my G1 barebow and they were fine. Six shafts inside 4" at 18m without much of a warm up is pretty acceptable and, at 10m, they were all inside a 2" circle when did my part. There were no signs of twitchiness off the bow, or yawing.

I've learnt a few lessons that should make my life easier:

1) Never buy arrows that are not in a matched set.
    2) Never buy budget arrows 'from bulk' again, unless I can spin test and weigh each shaft. If these parameters are good, spine is likely to be consistent.
    3) If the bare shafts are not supremely consistent, you need feathers or large vanes to bring things into line.
    4) Shooting crappy arrows can undermine your confidence pretty quickly!
    5) Good bare shafts shoot much better than poor arrows with vanes on....
    6) A spine tester is likely to be a good investment in the long run. Spine issues really can screw up accuracy, even over 20yds/18M. Whilst you can figure that all out by shooting bare shafts, it is likely to be quicker to check for straightness and spine carefully first and only invest time into shafts that don't have a question mark against them. I'm not the best shooter in the world, but I am good enough to have been thrown completely off balance by these arrows. It was a monumental waste of time, but maybe the lessons learnt were worth it.

I now have 6 arrows I can shoot at 3d targets and not worry about. The other six are fit for the garbage. I have written to Bearpaw and let them know about the quality issue and will see what they say. One or two iffy arrows out of 12 is one thing, but half of them?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12