Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrono scores

In the Blue

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timid Toad View Post
    From my own personal testing I can prove contact costs speed, yes.
    How much, and was that shaft contact or fletch, with riser or rest?

Thanks
    As an engineer I would not use a riser but build a frame/jig to hold the limbs ILF and Formula. As there is no reason the frame needs a central riser, just a support for the arrow, there would never be any contact, just a precise jig for testing each set of limbs then arrow spine becomes redundant, and a mechanical release to remove release variation.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KidCurry For This Useful Post:

4d4m (15-03-19)

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4d4m View Post
    How much, and was that shaft contact or fletch, with riser or rest?
    Depends on shafts/limb mismatch but between 2fps and 20fps. I suspect it could well be worse than that. Level/position of contact also depends on mismatch.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timid Toad View Post
    If you want to do that you'd have to use an extreme overweight arrow for all limbs to avoid screwing up the high energy limbs versus the inefficient ones. Then calculate back. You'll also have to work out how to avoid arrow contact with the riser through over stiffness as well as weakness. That'll give false readings.
    Lots of people have tried to use a standard arrow and string and ended up with spurious results through it being the wrong spine for a fast limb or having fletching contact with the riser despite being machine-shot.
    Some manufacturers do publish their draw force curves and they make interesting reading. Worth hunting them out if you can.
    Don't use an arrow. Just a reference weight. Basically make the bow into a catapult. Couple that with a shoot through riser, maybe.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KidCurry View Post
    As an engineer I would not use a riser but build a frame/jig to hold the limbs ILF and Formula. As there is no reason the frame needs a central riser, just a support for the arrow, there would never be any contact, just a precise jig for testing each set of limbs then arrow spine becomes redundant, and a mechanical release to remove release variation.
    Assuming you know which limbs have built in or neutral tiller, and can adjust accordingly?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Don't use an arrow. Just a reference weight. Basically make the bow into a catapult. Couple that with a shoot through riser, maybe.
    Trouble with that is is still doesn't tell the OP which limbs reach 80yds etc.

And don't forget to take into account eye-chin distance for sights.

And then I would work out a factor to compensate against the shooting machine and a bit of well-worn cordovan.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast