Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrono scores

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timid Toad View Post
    Trouble with that is is still doesn't tell the OP which limbs reach 80yds etc.
    Yes... But nothing will do that, except shooting a pair of limbs. Too many variables...

It's kind of like the "what arrows do I need for whitetail?" question you used to see all the time on usenet.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timid Toad View Post
    Trouble with that is is still doesn't tell the OP which limbs reach 80yds etc.

And don't forget to take into account eye-chin distance for sights.

And then I would work out a factor to compensate against the shooting machine and a bit of well-worn cordovan.
    All very valid points.

The issue is not will a limb reach 80 yards, but can I get a sight mark on the gold with my ability and technique.

The trend (driven by lower profit margins) for dealers to forego proper shooting facilities and stock levels in favour of internet turnover, resulting in archers being short changed by reducing the number of shops with facilities for archers to try equipment under the guidance of experienced shop staff. Furthering the trend for misinformation with archers to have to seek self help from anonymous reviews and assumptions is detrimental to archers getting the most out of their equipment. But that is what we have, when price and colour seems to be the major driving factors in equipment selection.

Many archers struggle to shoot the longer distances accurately because of form issues (the most common not tilting at the waist) and a poor set up. If Denise Parker can win Bronze at the Olympics with a reported 28lb on her fingers then people should be thinking in different directions.

It is very hard and time consuming to evaluate equipment and do real comparisons to validate manufactures claims (none of this "out of the box" rubbish we get today) - so far I have spent 2 weeks evaluating why there is no loss of arrow speed/kinetic energy, stored energy and even sight marks arrow spine and button spring tension are the same shooting an uukha 72" bow compared to my uukha 70" bow using the same limbs - where the only variable being the longer riser - results that go against all current thinking. But my real interest at the end of the day and the time consuming bit are not the numbers, but are my groups smaller and scores higher, that involves a lot of shooting even on less than perfect days like yesterday all the numbers are just that numbers.

Thanks
    Looking at things from a slightly different angle...
    Basic trajectory calculations suggest that it takes a velocity change of about 9 or 10 fps to drop a projectile off the bottom of the boss at 70m. That's not outside the range of possibility for two pairs of limbs of the same measured weight, but it sounds quite extreme... Call it a 5% difference in performance.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 935 Posts
    Rik, I think that is a good place to start, as regards solving an archer's inability to reach a distance.( assuming it isn't simple bad form)
    The next stage would be to know the speed of current arrows and choose limbs that are 10fps faster. Perhaps Bolerus had something like that in mind when he started this thread.
    Without the data Bolerus is wanting to collect and sort out, is there a quicker way that might be accurate enough? Is there a rough guide, related to draw weight, that could be used to calculate the increase in poundage needed? Or something along the lines of.... if you can just reach 80y you need an extra XX pounds to reach 100y.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffretired For This Useful Post:

bolerus (15-03-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Rik, I think that is a good place to start, as regards solving an archer's inability to reach a distance.( assuming it isn't simple bad form)
    The next stage would be to know the speed of current arrows and choose limbs that are 10fps faster. Perhaps Bolerus had something like that in mind when he started this thread.
    Without the data Bolerus is wanting to collect and sort out, is there a quicker way that might be accurate enough? Is there a rough guide, related to draw weight, that could be used to calculate the increase in poundage needed? Or something along the lines of.... if you can just reach 80y you need an extra XX pounds to reach 100y.
    The difference between 80yards and 100yards could just be FOC of arrows along with type of arrow, weight of arrow and correct spine. Don't forget draw length and with some limb designs and construction bow length really is important.

There was a video where some guy was comparing top of the range Win Win with WNS all he did was plonk the limbs in the bow shoot both and then claim the WNS were 10fps slower without us ever seeing that he had a chrono. The cynic in me suggests he wanted to sell the more expensive limbs.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 935 Posts
    Hi Andrew, thanks for that.
    So, adding what you say to the mix.
    The archer reached 80 but not 100y so the experienced archer suggests. Lighter arrows( unless the ones in use already are as light as possible) and that should include well matched lighter arrows.
    Don't forget draw length and with some limb designs and construction bow length really is important.
    I was thinking of the same archer using the same draw length with faster limbs. Faster limbs could include shorter or heavier,yes?
    I was also thinking as a rough guide 2lbs extra or even 4lb.
    I feel it needs to be a simple piece of advice; or simple options.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast