Thread: How to check Ultima II elevation bar in-line with string.

In the Green
    Thanks

How to check Ultima II elevation bar in-line with string.

Having felt a bit meh about the Avalon Tec-One sight I started with I went and got a Shibuya Ultima II RC this weekend. Used it on Sunday and it seems a lot better than the Tec-One and very little to shake loose. In the install instructions (step 4 IIRC) it talks about making sure that the elevation bar is in-line to the string. The instructions on how you do that are a bit sparse though! I found even on full extension if I try and look through the string to the elevation bar the pesky riser gets in the way :-). I did think perhaps you can put it in backwards so the sight block is out the back of the riser, and then measure the distance to the top of bottom of the bar with a T-square? Or maybe there is a cunning archer trick I don't know about? :-D

Thanks
    Don't put it in backwards, might give false reading when riser and/or sight mounting block are not absolutely square. A spirit level is what I use. Put bow in vice and level the string (horizontal or vertical doesn't matter), then adjust sight elevation bar accordingly. I know archers who put the string horizontal bow down and hang 2 strands with weights from the string, touching top and bottom of sight elevation bar.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomVis For This Useful Post:

Windscale (08-04-19)

In the White
    Thanks
    Two ways: I remove my side rods and lay my strung bow on the floor chocking the riser up at each end so the limbs are not touching the floor. I have a small string-line spirit level that has indents on the bottom that allows me to balance in on the string. Adjust the chocks so the string is about level. Then place the spirit level on the sight and adjust it so the bubble is in the same place. The adjustment is done by loosening the bottom screw that connects the sight bar to the extension bar and pushing the sight bar one way or the other before retightening. Check the levels again to ensure no movent occurred during retightening. The other way is to put your bow on the back of a chair like you are going to align the limbs. With the sight block at the top of the bar and the string aligned down the centre of the riser, see where your sight pin is in relation to the string. Move your block to the bottom of the bar and align as before. If your sight pin is in the same relative position then the sight bar is parallel to the string. If the sight pin moves towards or away from the string as you move it up or down then it needs adjustment.

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AIM410 For This Useful Post:

Windscale (08-04-19)

In the Green
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. It's probably not critical yet since I'm not changing between distances but I think I'll try and get that done in the next week or two.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 950 Posts
    I use a straight edge, like a thin ruler, against the elevation bar then view the outer edge of that to see if that is parallel to the string line.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffretired For This Useful Post:

Windscale (09-04-19)

Thanks
    I've done the hang-weights-from-the-string (with thread and needles). It's fiddly but works for aligning things to the limbs and string.
    For basic "is it straight?" alignment, I'd probably just eyeball it to the string (with a camera phone to help). You don't need to be able to see the sightbar, just the sight ring. Put it at the top, then at the bottom of the bar and make sure it aligns with the string the same in both places. If you're being careful, bring the sight bar in and check it again - that can expose a twist in the extension...
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.