Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilemma Choosing First Bow

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongPhooey View Post
    noob question what's an ACG?
    An expensive arrow! (although far from the most expensive)

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongPhooey View Post
    that last is an interesting insight chuffalump and sounds similar to the principals of Wing Chun Kuen where technique is mostly preferable to raw power although like most things power has its part to play, its kind of a hard and soft style where the muscles need to be relaxed without compromising form, although probably best not to transfer the training technique of blindfold lok sau to archery
    Yep, muscle power and endurance certainly plays it's part in drawing and holding the bow, but at the same time good shots are generally relaxed and effortless...

Believe it or not blindfolded practice is something you can do (at close range into a large target) to train in feeling the shot process. I don't know if it's widespread but my coach advised giving it a try once.

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonUK76 View Post
    Yep, muscle power and endurance certainly plays it's part in drawing and holding the bow, but at the same time good shots are generally relaxed and effortless...

Believe it or not blindfolded practice is something you can do (at close range into a large target) to train in feeling the shot process. I don't know if it's widespread but my coach advised giving it a try once.
    Probably for a similar reason, in Wing Chun itís to rely on feel rather than the eye anticipating the moves, Iím guessing in archery itís to hone technique without having to worry about hitting the target.
    Use the force Luke

Thanks
    Martial arts and strength and helpful but beware of assuming youíll be able to comfortably shoot 60+ arrows at almost your maximum draw weight.

Iím a lifelong martial artist and exercise/strength freak and some elements are useful, some get in the way.

Start with a fresh mind and see what feels best instead of going straight for the most butch looking form of archery; whatever that is!

The combination of strength and focus and quite unique though.

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernowlad View Post
    Martial arts and strength and helpful but beware of assuming youíll be able to comfortably shoot 60+ arrows at almost your maximum draw weight.

Iím a lifelong martial artist and exercise/strength freak and some elements are useful, some get in the way.

Start with a fresh mind and see what feels best instead of going straight for the most butch looking form of archery; whatever that is!

The combination of strength and focus and quite unique though.
    Iíve long since stopped assuming things like that, if martial arts has taught me anything itís starting with a fresh and open mind, what style do you train out of interest?
    Longbow is just the style of archery that speaks to me rather than being a macho thing

Thanks
    Eight years of Shotokan Karate (both my kids do it now) then ten years kickboxing with a few national tournaments thrown in. Did a bit of Win Chun but the instructor was a bit odd. Good martial art though.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast