Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sight markings

In the Green
    Thanks
    A really weird thing happens to the sight numbers when you shoot less than about 12m. The numbers start going back up, so for example for my bow to hit at 5m I have to set the sight to the same mark as I would shoot a 30m target. I assume this is something to do with the fact that the arrow is located several inches below the sight.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey View Post
    A really weird thing happens to the sight numbers when you shoot less than about 12m. The numbers start going back up, so for example for my bow to hit at 5m I have to set the sight to the same mark as I would shoot a 30m target. I assume this is something to do with the fact that the arrow is located several inches below the sight.
    Yep there's a sight/eyeline convergence at close range which I only found about at a field archery tournament where I was pretty decent over 15 yards, terrible at the really close range stuff!
    Mybo Origin

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 950 Posts
    It's really to do with the arrow being several inches below the aiming eye. If the sight is set exactly the same distance above the arrow, as the eye is above the nock , the arrow sets off parallel to the line of sight. At any distance, the sight will need to be lower than that in order for the arrow to make up the deficit. Over a short distance the arrow needs to be elevated quite a lot in order to close the gap in such a short distance, hence the lower than expected sight mark. For longer distances, such as the outdoor ones, the arrow is elevated enough to rise above the line of sight and drop back down at the same level.
    I am not just nit picking,I say that because the line of sight, is the one feature of the aiming system that stays in place at all distances; so it's a good starting point for working out why things happen as they do.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    It's really to do with the arrow being several inches below the aiming eye. If the sight is set exactly the same distance above the arrow, as the eye is above the nock , the arrow sets off parallel to the line of sight. At any distance, the sight will need to be lower than that in order for the arrow to make up the deficit. Over a short distance the arrow needs to be elevated quite a lot in order to close the gap in such a short distance, hence the lower than expected sight mark. For longer distances, such as the outdoor ones, the arrow is elevated enough to rise above the line of sight and drop back down at the same level.
    I am not just nit picking,I say that because the line of sight, is the one feature of the aiming system that stays in place at all distances; so it's a good starting point for working out why things happen as they do.
    You're both describing the same thing. The "line of sight" is determined by the positions of both the eye and the sight pin. Each of those things marks a point in space, and the straight line that joins both is the sight line. The sight marks are determined by the angle of the line of sight relative to the "arc" of trajectory.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 950 Posts
    Yes, we are all talking about the same thing in total as it were. I am just talking about it in a slightly different way.
    Line of sight, from my point of view( heehee) is determined not by the sight pin and the eye; rather by the eye and it's view to the target. I can draw that line on any sketch or scale drawing of the archer/bow/ target combination.No sight required, so can be used by barebow archers when explaining similar situations.
    If we put a sight into this "equation" it has to be put on the existing line of sight( eye line to target.)
    Splitting hairs? Yes, I know I am. It just seems to me that it is easier to explain when starting with that eye line to target. It can help explain where gaps are for gap shooters, and why the gap changes size with change of distance.
    I could say that sight marks are determined by the angle of the line of trajectory relative to the line of sight. The line of sight is always from eye to target, so I put that as the line other things are compared with.
    In a way I am saying that a vertical building is at 90 deg to a level. Rather than building a structure then looking to see if 90 deg to the building, is actually level or horizontal.
    I am not saying that the sight marks will be any different which ever way you think it through, but the understanding can be clearer.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    it might be worth noting that for World Archery field/3D you can have a sight tape or a set of written sight marks, but not both.
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast