Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sight markings

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 950 Posts
    Bimble, that's interesting.
    Can I clarify that sight tape, is a tape with marks on and the marks are for specific distances? Written sight marks would be a sheet or booklet with numbers on for specific distances... and the numbers refer to a scale on the sight?
    If they are both correct, I am trying to think of a reason for not being allowed both.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Bimble, that's interesting.
    Can I clarify that sight tape, is a tape with marks on and the marks are for specific distances? Written sight marks would be a sheet or booklet with numbers on for specific distances... and the numbers refer to a scale on the sight?
    If they are both correct, I am trying to think of a reason for not being allowed both.
    That's right. Because you're only allowed one set of marks, it's easier to say to archers chose one or the other, rather than having to check that the sight tape matches the written marks. Especially if someone was to have a sight tape for the flat, but written marks for... 15 degree downslope (you're not allowed your cut charts in WA)
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 950 Posts
    Cheers, Bimble. I was wondering how both could be seen as unfair, but your explanation answers that perfectly.
    I was looking at some similar rules and I noted in some disciplines it states " memoranda not allowed".
    From what you have just written, I guess that means references to how to change things and by what amounts for uphill /downhill etc.

Thanks
    Good stuff Geoff; that makes sense. I found the shape of the graph curve quite interesting and it helps me predict those middle distances where I don’t have an exact mark.

I found that you need to be flexible; the target may be uphill, downhill, really low, your standing (or even kneeling) position is often tricky, etc. All great fun and makes the archery feel more “real.”

Short range is definitely hard on the arrows; they really do “thwack” into that target so definitely one for the xx75s not the ACGs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234