Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 957 Posts
    Having looked at what is available you will note how the long rod is the common ingredient in almost every case. Some archers never go past that. It seems that the higher your sores, the more that is added. BUT, how does that work? Is it a case of shoot better with a long rod, until you are so good you can add more bits and shoot even higher scores? Or is it the reverse, shoot OK with a long rod and add more bits in order to shoot better than just OK.
    The engineer in you will tell you that a weight on the end of a long rod is better than the same weight on a shorter rod. Better in the sense that it has a greater effect on reducing some unwanted movements.
    The recoil from a bow's power stroke creates a torque at the grip that tips the riser backwards at the top. A longrod with enough length/ weight can reduce that tipping back to almost stillness. That longrod and weight, though when enough to counter the recoil, will leave the bow front heavy and the long rod will drop after the shot. The front heaviness, can leave the archer feeling as if their bow is too heavy in the hand.
    Taking off the weights ,or some of them, can feel nicer but that brings back the tipping riser. Many archers then get some weight further back to try to make the bow feel less front heavy, while keeping the front weight the same. Often these weights are on stalks to allow the weights to better resist other movements.
    I think it is these weights nearer the handle, where the variety shows.
    One thing I believe to be true is, that making the bow too heavy will reduce the archer's ability to shoot to their potential. Holding the bow up off the ground becomes a greater problem than it needs to be and the extra weight wasn't helping in any other way, so why struggle.

Thanks
    On Wednesday I'm planning to try it with just 4 weights on the long rod & 3 each on the sides, with no dampers (subject to that giving decent balance.)

- As the screws won't be here by then my options are somewhat limited (perhaps a good thing?). With dampers I only have the option to use 6 or 7 on each rod but without them the 2" screws don't matter as they can go as far as they need to inside the rod body.

- If I haven't mentioned it yet, the long rod is 33" & the sides are 15", on a W&W Carbon V-bar & a 5" Fuse Blade extender. I also have an adjustable V-bar on the way from China, for refined experimentation after the compos are done.

I should have been assembled & strung by now but it IS the Monday after an exceptional Sunday so I've awarded m'sel an easy day.

...Hey, there's no bugger around to disagree never mind stop me so >*raspberry*<
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 957 Posts
    I should have been assembled & strung by now
    Is there a misprint in there?
    Did you mean.... IT should have been strung & assembled?
    Or did you mean...... I should have been strung up and disassembled?

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LionOfNarnia View Post
    Yeah, my mind asks similar questions. The engineer in me can't help it I started with:-

How have the top dudes used them?

With a lot of pausing of YT vidz, I gleaned some intel from the 'golden age' of the Blade, the first few years of this decade.

Brady Ellison - No extender. V-bar down & wide. 10 (ounces/disks on) long, 7 side.
    Ivashko - 2 dampers on long rod. 5 l, 4 s.
    Rick Van der Veen - No dampers. 9 l, 6 s.

Which gives me a 'range of proven good' attributes for all the key variables. The bugger is, that still gives a BIG number of possibilities.

- Good job I enjoy 'a bit of tinkering', huh?
    Here's an interesting read from an engineer at Easton. https://eastonarchery.com/2019/02/re...possibilities/

Summary of it is it depends on personal preferences and shooting style. His opinion is that Brady Ellison's style (as said he adds large amounts of weight on the rods) is a quite different shooting style from, for example, most of the Korean's who do not tend to add lots of weight.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jonUK76 For This Useful Post:

LionOfNarnia (15-07-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Is there a misprint in there?
    Did you mean.... IT should have been strung & assembled?
    Or did you mean...... I should have been strung up and disassembled?
    Sometimes it's hard to know where "I" ends and 'bow' begins. So neither, and both

@JonUK76

Good info, confirms that starting at the lighter end is prolly the best way to go. Brady must be a damned gorilla to have 10 oz on his long rod!

-

I did eventually find the energy to put Excalibow together with the 3-4-3 set-up, balance seems OK, but can I feck find the mojo to start an SPT session tonight.

Making another mug of tea (and trying to ignore the fact I'm out of baccy) is about my limit for today.
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910