Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Average conditions (for Hexham) - cloudy, medium gusty breeze veering from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. A few brighter spells early on, but never enough to warrant shades, and conditions worsened as the afternoon progressed.

The rest of the club - coach & captain on #1, secretary & husband on #2 - shot a FITA combined 18/25. Plus one of the post-beginners, a lass of about 8 on a 10yd 122cm.

Me?

My first National round, in prep for the 'Griffin' shoot at Ryhope 3 weeks from today.

But first, a pic of my updated badge collection - with the addition of the 252/50 I won last Sunday - Hey if I don't blow the trumpet every now & then, no other bugger is gonna do it for me, innit?

(Updated)

So, the National - a score of 436 is needed for Archer 2nd Class. I shot 262 + 144 for a total of 406. Just 0.41 pts/arrow short. Not that it would have done any good if I had shot better - I was informed by el capitano (before shooting) that after a clarification chat with the senior DNAA coach, the club will conform more strictly to county guidelines on badges - 252s can be taken from longer rounds but there must be a 2nd scorer for classifications to be 'legal'. As no-one else was interested in long-range shooting today (Captain admitted he can't even shoot 60yds these days), nor are likely to be in the near future anyway, my progress is effectively stalled. Another factor pushing me towards finding a club with more recurvers for next year (i.e. October 1st).

I'd say the wind had a lot to do with dropped points but tbt more was due to simple inconsistency - like decent ends ruined by one or two looser shots. Plus one just ####-poor end at 50 which only managed a 28
    But I don't feel 'bad' - It's so nice to know that even a bad shot at 60yds will usually find the black! (including sighters, I only had 3 'greens' all day.) Dropping to 3-4-3 weighting on the Blades was deffo a good idea, I didn't feel any 'shoulder fatigue' this week.

I did break in the new Hailstorms, and I'm more than happy with both their performance & their aesthetics. Comparing them to coachs' ACCs they feel to be slightly lighter despite being considerably longer. But for sure they're the best-looking arrows in the club right now

Also making a range debut was a pair of purchases which I haven't mentioned before - both from fleabay. A cooler-rucksack & 6 ice blocks, total cost 17. Kept my barley water icy cold & uber-refreshing all afternoon, even until I got home again. Will serve me very well for the upcoming compos I think My fave feature is it has a bottle-opener on the RH shoulder strap!

I now have the club fletching jig in my possession again, so converting the 9 Tyros to red/black/black 1 3/4" vanes is the 'Monday task'.
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the Blue
    Thanks
    MONDAY

And my final three orders for the month have arrived

Gonna be a busy day or two I think
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the Blue
    Thanks
    The V-bar cost a whole 31.68 & took 11 days from order to arrival (from Hong Kong). Quality is good, looks AMAZEBALLS with the Blades (Tyro in b/g, for comparison) -

The "C" shaped bits in the bag, they seem to be for changing the 'down angle' of the long rod to either 5* or 10* - useless to me ofc, but I guess c**p***ders might have some use for them.

The rest, the Milliput & the 'Head' grip-tape, were recommended by Ashe Morgan on OAA for modifying the hand-grip. As a larger-handed person who starts melting as soon as the temperature goes above 22* (Hey, I was born in the Lake District, that's almost volcanic by our standards!) I find standard grips both too skinny & too slippy, so time to play!

YES, I did notice when I updated the 'badges' pic that the order was jumbled, and yes, that has now been remedied! Not worthy of another update imo but just in case any of you have OCD about it, you can stop worrying now

Had my first conversation with a GP about Therapeutic Use Exemptions 2 hours ago. For the opiates & some others that I hadn't even considered, hey, no problem, just drop off the form & we'll sign it. 25 please. But for the sacred 'erb? Hooo Boy, that's gonna be a tough nut to crack

Not even prepared to consider giving me a referral to Dr Davies 'because it's out-of-area & our commissioning group would have to approve, and fund the transfer, & right now they won't even consider that'. Just another example of only the wealthy getting genuine patient care?

-

-

- and I still haven't started stripping the old vanes off yet!
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Just had an email from el capitano -

My current handicap is 52
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the Blue
    Thanks
    WEDNESDAY (Club Night)

7 shooters. I joined them in the latest installment of the 'Indoors, Outdoors' theme, with a FITA 18 followed by a Bray I.

I shot a 470 in the former & 179 in the later. Haven't a clue whether that's good or how I compare with the rest, nowt was said.

The new V-bar performed admirably, deffo gives me a bit more room to load up without wanging the short rod (Currently set to about 50* out, 10* down). Never even moved in 100 shots.

I did lose a vane at some stage though. Due to trying to not use too much glue, I reckon. Good job I forgot to return the jig, I suppose

My biggest gripes?

Firstly, not only do my sights not have enough adjustment for 20yds with a tailwind, either in elevation or windage, as they're set in position to be able to shoot WA70s into a headwind, but I also 'lost' half-an-end due to having to rotate the aperture to bring the flo pin level, a go-to-the-car-and-get-some-tools job. At no stage could I do what I wanted, which was to shoot AT the centre of the gold. I had to settle for aiming at the edge of the blue at about 7:30 which kinda negates the whole purpose of having adjustable sights, innit?

Secondly, as we were shooting with the sun directly behind us, the flo pin didn't 'glow' at all as it was in my very considerable shadow. No issue for the barebowers ofc, but a total PIA for yours truly. Yes, next time I'll make a thing of it before the range gets set. I was 10 mins late tonight, mostly because the FB post saying that shooting was actually happening wasn't posted until 17:25 (for an 18:00 start) & by the time I got my stuff together & got my contacts in, I was already gonna be late - it's a 25-minute drive for me. The range was 3/4 ready when I arrived.

Thirdly, I'm not happy with the speed at which the plinkers fired off their arrows. I'm doing my best to take my time, to make full use of the 240 seconds/end I'll get in competition, to compose myself & ensure that every stage of my draw & release was as constant & smooth as I could make it, but I was always left with at least 2 & usually 3 left to shoot when everyone else was finished, putting 'accidental' pressure on me to shoot faster. Not really fair, is it?

- I don't even understand why they are all so keen to shoot indoor rounds in the middle of the outdoor season - especially as currently we don't even have a confirmed venue for the indoor season! Maybe 20 yds is the limit of their skill, strength & kit?

Sunday is my last chance to practice at range for the upcoming compos, but the forecast atm isn't exactly inspiring - cloudy, 70% chance of rain & 10mph x-wind. Nevertheless my intention is to try to shoot a WA70, both for the FB group competition which closes on 31st, and also so that when I drop to 60 yds for the Newburn Open, it'll seem short (& easy?) That's the theory, anyway!

- I'm going to pass on shooting next Wednesday, shooting silly short-range stuff will do nowt to prepare me for a Windsor in competition 4 days later.

It's useful that the 2 compos in early August are at 2 of the 4 clubs which - at least theoretically - could be alternatives, so you can bet I'll be asking lots of questions of the hosting clubs, officials & members, to help me decide whether to make a transfer come subs time.

I don't think it'll take much to convince me to move
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 962 Posts
    You could enjoy 3 arrows while they blast off their 6,if you attend next Wed. That way you can establish your routine for your own benefit. Better than not shooting at all.!

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast