Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

Thanks
    Average conditions (for Hexham) - cloudy, medium gusty breeze veering from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. A few brighter spells early on, but never enough to warrant shades, and conditions worsened as the afternoon progressed.

The rest of the club - coach & captain on #1, secretary & husband on #2 - shot a FITA combined 18/25. Plus one of the post-beginners, a lass of about 8 on a 10yd 122cm.

Me?

My first National round, in prep for the 'Griffin' shoot at Ryhope 3 weeks from today.

But first, a pic of my updated badge collection - with the addition of the 252/50 I won last Sunday - Hey if I don't blow the trumpet every now & then, no other bugger is gonna do it for me, innit?

(Updated)

So, the National - a score of 436 is needed for Archer 2nd Class. I shot 262 + 144 for a total of 406. Just 0.41 pts/arrow short. Not that it would have done any good if I had shot better - I was informed by el capitano (before shooting) that after a clarification chat with the senior DNAA coach, the club will conform more strictly to county guidelines on badges - 252s can be taken from longer rounds but there must be a 2nd scorer for classifications to be 'legal'. As no-one else was interested in long-range shooting today (Captain admitted he can't even shoot 60yds these days), nor are likely to be in the near future anyway, my progress is effectively stalled. Another factor pushing me towards finding a club with more recurvers for next year (i.e. October 1st).

I'd say the wind had a lot to do with dropped points but tbt more was due to simple inconsistency - like decent ends ruined by one or two looser shots. Plus one just ####-poor end at 50 which only managed a 28
    But I don't feel 'bad' - It's so nice to know that even a bad shot at 60yds will usually find the black! (including sighters, I only had 3 'greens' all day.) Dropping to 3-4-3 weighting on the Blades was deffo a good idea, I didn't feel any 'shoulder fatigue' this week.

I did break in the new Hailstorms, and I'm more than happy with both their performance & their aesthetics. Comparing them to coachs' ACCs they feel to be slightly lighter despite being considerably longer. But for sure they're the best-looking arrows in the club right now

Also making a range debut was a pair of purchases which I haven't mentioned before - both from fleabay. A cooler-rucksack & 6 ice blocks, total cost 17. Kept my barley water icy cold & uber-refreshing all afternoon, even until I got home again. Will serve me very well for the upcoming compos I think My fave feature is it has a bottle-opener on the RH shoulder strap!

I now have the club fletching jig in my possession again, so converting the 9 Tyros to red/black/black 1 3/4" vanes is the 'Monday task'.
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Thanks
    MONDAY

And my final three orders for the month have arrived

Gonna be a busy day or two I think
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Thanks
    The V-bar cost a whole 31.68 & took 11 days from order to arrival (from Hong Kong). Quality is good, looks AMAZEBALLS with the Blades (Tyro in b/g, for comparison) -

The "C" shaped bits in the bag, they seem to be for changing the 'down angle' of the long rod to either 5* or 10* - useless to me ofc, but I guess c**p***ders might have some use for them.

The rest, the Milliput & the 'Head' grip-tape, were recommended by Ashe Morgan on OAA for modifying the hand-grip. As a larger-handed person who starts melting as soon as the temperature goes above 22* (Hey, I was born in the Lake District, that's almost volcanic by our standards!) I find standard grips both too skinny & too slippy, so time to play!

YES, I did notice when I updated the 'badges' pic that the order was jumbled, and yes, that has now been remedied! Not worthy of another update imo but just in case any of you have OCD about it, you can stop worrying now

Had my first conversation with a GP about Therapeutic Use Exemptions 2 hours ago. For the opiates & some others that I hadn't even considered, hey, no problem, just drop off the form & we'll sign it. 25 please. But for the sacred 'erb? Hooo Boy, that's gonna be a tough nut to crack

Not even prepared to consider giving me a referral to Dr Davies 'because it's out-of-area & our commissioning group would have to approve, and fund the transfer, & right now they won't even consider that'. Just another example of only the wealthy getting genuine patient care?

-

-

- and I still haven't started stripping the old vanes off yet!
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Thanks
    Just had an email from el capitano -

My current handicap is 52
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112