Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LionOfNarnia View Post
    About what does it cost, per bow, to do that?
    Costed me about €10 for some scraps from the local wrapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehart View Post
    If limb performance is less important than looks then I understand. But any weight additional on the working part of the limb will affect performance.
    Agreed. You may need to re-tune your bow after applying. The impact on performance depends on the wrap you're getting. I got the lightest, thinnest wrap they have in the shop.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    It's not a biggie, really - there are all-black limbs penciled in for various stages over the next couple of years.

More than anything else, I just wanna get out there & shoot (it's been 11 long days now) but the forecast for Sunday is hardly encouraging
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Chances of shooting today - maybe 50/50.

Even if it's a "yay", it'll be cool, grey & breezy, with light rain showers almost a certainty.

N'e'r mind, after 14 days it'll just be good to let a few (dozen) fly.

(And finally range-test the modification to the tab thumb-shelf)

I made a slight error in an earlier post, it's not next Friday I'm going to Merlin, it's the Friday after, 30th. Hey, I have no problem accepting that I'm a sinner!

- With a small addition to the previous 'shopping list':-

TWO Carbon Express X-Busters, 600 spine, full length, plus 3 x 120gr points.

Reason - I managed to score 5 X-Busters for a bargain price from one of the FB archery groups!

(So one to make a set & one as a spare)

I'm confident that 7 (plus a spare point) will get me through the indoor season OK, I've only ever 'lost' one arrow indoors, in my early days when not only did I miss the target but also found a gap in the safety net & whanged the back wall of the gym. Even then, because those arrows (Avalon Classics) were still full-length, once I knew my draw I was able to shorten them & bring the broken one back to full-use with a new point. (The carbon was splayed back nearly 3" with the now-flat point in the middle of the 'rosette'. It was a wall-ornament in a friends' house for nearly 2 years!)

I think I'm going to strip the vanes from the five & re-fletch them all to 'my' colours (Red Cock, black Hens) using Bohning Zen 4", borrowing the club cutting & fletching jigs to complete the work. MAYBE treat them to some wraps if there's something I like in stock too.

Yes, the aesthetics of this sport are very important to me, as is every other aspect of my life that I can (afford to) 'customise'.

At heart, that's why I have an wee bit of an aversion to those bows with too many wheels & cords - whilst I admire the technological innovation they represent, and permit me to be blunt here, they are OOGLY!

(And for exactly the same reasons, longbows in general are GORGEOUS and I've seen some that are heart-wrenchingly beautiful.)

YAY!

Hi All
    The weather is hit and miss at the moment but we will try a 2pm start today if the sun keeps on shining. Also the field is still very wet in places so boots or wellies is a must and can members who do not need to be near the field please park in the car park as the only place that can take cars is the gravel area by the lock-up!
    So, a more-leisurely-than-normal superbrunch* then an afternoon of bog-snorkeling then!

I won't even complain about 'indoor rounds' today, boggy ground in boots is just so fatiguing with FMS & is to be avoided if at all possible.

*(From the top) 2 soft-fried eggs on 2 slices of Lorne sausage on 2 slices of wholemeal bread, fried in bacon-grease. 2 Irish-recipe pork sausages, 1 slice of black pudding, 2 rashers of smoked bacon, 2 fried tomato quarters & a handful of horizontally-sliced fried mushrooms. HmmmHMMMMMM!
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the Blue
    Thanks
    SUNDAY REPORT
    (Posted late due to the 'forum issues')

A short but not quite unpleasant session. Weather totally as forecast. Plenty of gusts, minor dowsing. Not as much squelching as expected though, so I'm grateful for even small mercies.

I shot my first-ever Portsmouth - Well, I've shot a 60cm target at 20yds plenty of times but until today with zero regard for recording scores.

By the time I was halfway through my sight was hard up against the top & right stops & I was still having to aim off.

Impressed with my tab mod though - my groups are definitely tighter now that I have more feel for the precise anchor position.

...and I did end the day with a new badge to add to the growing collection

I actually shot 443. CERTAIN it would have been above 450 with fat sticks! (Soon pussycat, soon)

Feeling extremely drained right now - and am very well 'medicated' to boot - so perhaps an early night is in order.

Not THIS early, but maybe not far the other side o' ye witching hour.

Netflix'n'chills until then

FOOTNOTE - I actually hit the sheets at 23:30 & stayed there 'til 08:30. Must've needed it!
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Due to another 'iffy' forecast for Wednesday, coach has announced that the range will be open Tuesday from 18:00

- So I've spent the afternoon swapping out my Tec X sight for my old SF Axiom one, as I don't want to mess with the settings of the Avalon as I'm planning to be shooting 70m with it on Sunday.

With the Axiom, I now have the space to get high enough & right enough to shoot for the X at 20yds. I've long since done my non-patented mod to the sightpin of the Axiom, and it takes the same fibre pins as the Infitec on the Tec X.

- Yes, I have a taste for the Portsmouth now. At least for the badges! (At least on a mid-week shoot )
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the White
    Thanks
    You know, I could have sworn I saw a post from you saying that you were intending to go to Merlin soon, but can't find it now for the life of me...sigh. I just wanted to say, if you mean the Loughborough one, I'd give them a call first to see if their shop is properly back in action. I went in last Tuesday to be greeted by almost no stock at all, while they re-build their showroom displays. All their stock is still there, but you have to select what you want from their webshop and then they go and find it for you. I was most dissatisfied, I was looking for a bit of a browse at my own pace, and instead felt like a damn nuisance. Admittedly, they're not my favourite place anyway, but it seems like every time I go in they do something else to pee me off. If you're coming from the north, I'd recommend Custom Built Archery at Newark instead, they're a much more enjoyable shopping experience.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819