Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffalump View Post
    TWO combat belts strapped together? Just think of how many useful waist pouches you could fit. Molle heaven.
    LOL yes that's true, there is lots of room for all sorts of attachments but I'm the kinda guy who likes to travel light

Everything arrived today

(Not the Dutch stuff ofc, but everything else plus a couple of wee things I didn't mention above - More of them later )

The QH100 feels wonderful compared to my 'old' Tec One (& is a lot blacker ) - Everything about it just screams 'quality', from the big magnetic tab pocket to the molded arrow separators. Definitely a huge step up in class, but not so much in price - the Tec One was 24 +P&P a couple of years ago, I just paid 30.74 inc P&P for the QH.

Mind you, the Tec One did come with a belt, even if it was over a foot too short for me before I bodged an extension. So I suppose it's only fair to include the pair of belts - 7.95 delivered - into the price of the QH.

I'm also mega-impressed with 'how much scope I got for my money'. Yes I know it's Chinese & is likely to fall apart in a couple of years but right now it looks impressively designed, sitting on its' long tripod. I'll only know for sure when I'm aiming it at the gold 60yds away (rather than a neighbours' numberplate 20yds away!) but if it helps me makes sight adjustments during an end it'll be well worth the 38.89 (+ 19.59 for the tripod, inc P&P for both) I paid.

The relevant 'wee thing' from earlier was a pack of round aluminium spacers, 9.8mm long, 8-32 thread, to complete the 'MkV' version of my sight pin extender. I attached it with Bohning Ferr-l-tite so there are now 2 less screws to rattle loose. They're only about 29p each but with 4 P&P I got m'sel 8 to justify the postage. Hoping I can pass on the remaining 6 to other archers who want to try true cross-dominant shooting.

"Cavete ira Leonis"

Thanks
    I would have posted this earlier, but I've been catching up with the WA champs (just the recurve bitz ) so the absolute first thing to do is add my congratulations on the splendid bronze medal won by our womens' recurve team

It was a very satisfying, and rewarding Sunday shoot for me - despite the efforts of the weather godz to ruin it!

We started with warmth & sunshine, which turned to 'gimme my fleece' & overcast with an increasingly gusty breeze then with 2 ends to go, the rain started. By the time we got the targets stashed it was chucking it down, and on the drive home I faced almost monsoon conditions for about 15 miles. Of course, by the time I was home & had brewed a good mug of builders' brew, the sun was out again. Gotta luv the British summer!

Let's get 'the bad' outta the way first, hmm? Guess which idiot, on their very first shot, forgot he'd primed the clicker & fired through it? Yep, right first time! I consider myself fortunate that the only 'casualty' was a ripped vane, but it did mean swapping to my spare arrows & re-sighting before starting my maiden Windsor. The only other 'mishap' was the damper-end falling off my long rod - I'd felt a rattle a few shots before & tightened up 'the usual suspects', only to be caught out. It's the first time that's happened & I don't think it cost me more than a point or two. My final 'oversight' was forgetting to record my marks at 60 before I switched to 50. I have a rough idea where it is but will need to use my sighters end well next time.

Some words on my new scope - Well, first off, I'm glad I've got one now. Yes, the 'pod was a bugger to align vertically but once I'd faffed about a bit it was fine. I was surprised that I had to dial the zoom down to minimum, even at 60 yds, but it sure was good to just move my neck to be able to see exactly where I'd hit, and make adjustments mid-end. I consider it 60 well spent after its' field-trials.

So yeah, my first-ever Windsor. 178 @ 60, 254 @ 50 & 252 @ 40 for a total of 684, not only giving me my 2nd qualifying score for my 3rd Class (by a LONG way!) but also my 1st for a 252/50. Yes, the 40 score should have been a bit better but I did mention the rain, didn't I?

I have a maximum of 13 sessions before my competition debut so I'm confident my score will improve a lot by then - I'm not expecting to be in the running for medals though, not being last is the first goal.
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123