Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffalump View Post
    Traditionally BCY-X would be seen as a bit harsh on a recurve, particularly on budget limbs. I can't remember if you've said what you shoot now but might be worth checking what the manufacturer says...
    It's the same string I'm using as my main, only that is black/silver (Oakland Raiders colours!). It's 20 strand too, which is higher than 'normal' for 38 lbs but I have soft, sensitive hands/fingers and found the 12-strand on my first bow a bit much for them. Anyway, I'm expecting/hoping to be on heavier, less-budgety limbs before the end of the outdoor season. (I have my eye on 46 lb WNS Delta C3's - Yes ofc they're Black!)

'Colour scheme' has always been important to me in my sporting career so extending it into archery just seems natural. Black is my base colour but I 'allow' red as a complimentary & some white for highlighting. That goes for attire too!

Karl, from what you've seen so far, do you think there's any danger of me not saying 'how it goes'?

- but because I'm a true X-Dom, the string doesn't appear in my sight-picture at all - not that I've ever noticed anyway!

(I'll be starting my Saturday SPTs shortly so I'll have a good look then.)

My Dutch package has now made it to the delivery depot in Newcastle so I'm expecting it around lunchtime on Monday. SPTs are about to get 12% tougher

The store in question is dutchbowstore.com they have been great with comms & seem cheaper than a lot of UK shops. Would use again
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Thanks
    Talk about making life harder for y'sel...

I ended up running about 10 minutes late, mostly 'coz my left eye put up a mighty struggle against having a contact lens inserted (I only use them for shooting). I was already 'mentally preparing' for having to remember to hold on to the bow again, after 6 months of using a finger-sling. Arrived to find the beginners' course targets already set, and 25yd & 30yd targets on 'the pro side' - I had intended to set my 60yd right back towards the bank, to makes misses easier to find, but had to settle for what was already there. Then during bow assembly discovered to my horror that I hadn't put my stabiliser in the car

- I've been shooting with one every time I've shot since about the 4th week of my beginners' course so to say the bow felt naked, light & just generally weird would be a definite understatement!

Nevertheless, all this faded almost to insignificance compared with the effects of the wind. It was almost 180* from the prevailing conditions my sightmarks were set for, and quite a bit stronger & more gusty than of late. It deffo surprised me that I ended up having to use a whole 10 points less of vertical, and all the way right on horizontal, to get centered.

Still, I stuck with it. Despite yet again being the only freestyler present (of 9 shooters).

Posted a 697 Windsor, my third & final qualifier for my 3rd Class award My 'most satisfying end' was a 9-9-9-9-9-7 @ 40.

But it's now official - the club captain hates me!

No 'well done', no 'congratulations', on hitting my first major milestone. Just a gruff 'OK, I'll put it in' as he folded the sheet into sixteenths & stuffed it in his pants pocket. What I was thinking at that point is deffo

So photos of my shiny new badge will have to wait. I don't even know until when. And I missed my 2nd 252/50 by 20, mostly due to poor early scores while adjusting to the wind. No extra sighters during a round, ofc.

OK, I can't be too 'down' - despite the 'complications' I did shoot well enough. But it could have felt so much better with more positive feedback from 'the club'.
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Thanks
    Monday update

My Dutch order arrived intact at lunchtime

I've just had my 1st 2 sets of SPTs with the 40lb limbs and YES it does make a very noticeable difference to the 'burn'. Very glad I took this intermediate route, giving my old bow a new lease of life as a training aid, rather than 'saving' the money & going straight for 46lb limbs.

Nice to have my own bow square at last too.

The Easton chestguard, despite being the biggest they make, is still quite a snug fit. I think I now understand (half) the problems women have with bras

Also got an email saying my Merlin order had been posted. Hoping it will arrive on Wednesday so I have a sling again.

Not too bad for a Monday!
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Thanks
    I'm waiting for a spirit level to help set up the various sight axes on a compound and a new sight. My old one is a recurve sight that came with a compound attachment and weighs a ton. Not sure how I justified the expense to myself.

Thanks
    Wednesday 'early' update

So, all of my orders have arrived intact now

The new vanes are a tiny 13/4", compared with the 23/8" that was the 'factory fit' - I figured that as I'm mostly shooting at medium to longer ranges these days, I may as well take the advantages of reduced drag/higher speed/lower arc (hence less wind effect) now. Or at least, to try it for m'sel before spending a small fortune on a higher-end set of arrows, certainly for next spring. (I fancy either A/C/Es or CX Nano Pros, which are near-as-dammit the same price).

I've stripped 3 of the Avalon Classics so far, I'm hoping to do a bareshaft tuning check during tonight's range-time. I started taking off the first (ripped) vane with my trusty craft scalpel, but realised very quickly that a) it would take FOREVER to do them all & b) it would be well-difficult to avoid any damage to the shafts. So, a quick YouTube search later, I've pulled my potato-peeler out of the utensil drawer & had a go with that. WOW! What a difference! Very quick & easy to not only remove the bulk of the vane, but also to clean up every trace of glue with ZERO damage to the shafts.

So don't buy overpriced stripping tools or risk your shafts with a Stanley blade - just grab your 'umble spud peeler! (pivoting lengthways type)

Talking about Blades - now that I finally have a Fuse piece to examine, have to say that I'm more convinced that ever that getting a complete set-up will be a good idea... and not so far away! I've taken the plunge & put up my 'spare' HOTAS joystick & my Oculus Rift (which was an under-used gift anyway) up for auction on eBay, which should allow me not only to buy the rods from Croatia early next month but also to get a v-bar to complete the set-up. I have several 'possibles' to consider, from an OTT Bee Stinger Elite to a 'budget' Fivics. All are 'QD' as I'm starting to resent the amount of assembly time I need compared with the barebow peasants

I'm hoping that not only can I borrow the club fletching jig tonight, but also to 'requisition' enough serving thread (any colour except black!) (red preferred) to make 4 nocking points - 2 for the new string- which will become my main once it's shot in - and 2 for the training bow which currently has those 'orrible brass things on. Gonna try to learn the 'Korean' method as shown here:-

If I can't get some from the club, well it's just gonna have to be minty white dental floss in the short term.
    Last edited by LionOfNarnia; Today at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345