Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why women should not do recurve archery!

Thanks
    Wouldn't it be nice if we actually had some female voices in this discussion?

Until then, we're all just guessing what they might feel about this issue.

HOWEVER I think it might be useful to continue discussing whether there should be more age categories for all 'Seniors' - After all, juniors change every 2 years, the current system seems to believe that after 18 it's a level playing field for everyone, for life, which just ain't so.

I'd certainly favour *some* changes that recognise that the human body does start to degenerate (some more than others ) certainly from (say) the mid-forties onwards. The Masters Games recognise this, with categories for each decade from 30 up to 70. With modern (computerised) technology there is no reason why AGB could not work out some kind of 'average' degeneration, and modify standards accordingly.

I'm also in total agreement that the qualifications should last more than one year. Personally I think that once one has achieved a standard (& bought the badge!) they should hold that for life - well until a higher one is gained, anyway.

If an Instructor/Coach only has to 'refresh' their qualification every three years it just seems inherently unfair that actual shooting standards only last a year.
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    There should be check to make sure that you are still shooting at the level you attained last year, but it should be a single score.
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

Thanks
    Reclassifying every year isn’t too much of a bind up to Bowman - if you shoot at that level then you will naturally pick up the required scores as you shoot club shoots throughout the year.

The problem kicks in with MB and GMB because of the need to chase record status competitions and becoming reliant as much on the vagaries of British weather as on your own ability as well as the costs incurred. I know I can shoot MB+ scores as I shoot early morning York’s now and again for fun at club (not too many others want to play at 7:30am) but I currently can not justify the costs required to attend record status shoots or justify the time away from my family.

I know the mentality is probably one of keeping everyone ‘honest’ in their score submissions but it is a pain.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

Thanks
    I have often thought that the need to re-qualify each year damages archer retention in the sport. I mean, how many universities require you to re sit your exams each year or present a final year dissertation each year to maintain your degree 1st or 2/1? The work to achieve MB and especially GMB is a great as a degree, possibly harder than many degrees. I think this would help the sport recognise these achievements.
    My other issue is that MB/GMB is not specific enough today with all the disciplines. Perhaps it would be more applicable to have, maybe for MB and GMB levels style specific classifications. At present MB is non specific enough as you could be MB at recurve and GMB at compound say.
    My suggestion is to update the classifications to:
    GMBc
    GMBr
    GMBb
    GMBl
    MBc
    MBr maybe down to bowman. Bc, Br etc
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    With Flight you do retain your classification - only shot that far once, got the pretty winged badge, kept the GMF designation. However, the fact that it is in a particular classification (WU50R) would make it pretty unwieldy to apply across the board to all styles.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    We have had this discussion before, but I can't be bothered to find it.
    The scores are set purely based on the statistics of those competing in this country. Top 1% (I think it's still 1%) get GMB and 5% (again IIRC) get MB. This is revisited on a regular basis for revue.

It's as simple as that.

Less women shooting. They do shoot lower scores. For a variety of reasons. Some may be physical. Some may be the male domination in the sport. This may change in the future.

At the Elite end of things you really don't get a look in until you are well into GMB. It's regarded as a pretty low hurdle.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast