Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Struggling after four years out of archery.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 957 Posts
    Hi GoneBad, Thanks for that,
    Yes the cams are under rotating. But as far as I can work out, the rotation that does still take place is the last 95% or more of the original one. All that is missing is the last few degrees of rotation that happens in the last mm of power stroke. I visualise that as the equivalent of a higher BH on a recurve. The bow is working as if the first mm of draw length has already taken place before I draw the bow. So, what I draw is the rest of it; the same as normal. I imagine that the nock travel will be the same; just slightly shorter.
    I have pulled the cables by hand to give the same effect as shortening them again, while on the bow. The rotation can be watched, to see how much movement there is to the cams etc.
    The limb tips move around 2mm. Braces height stays about the same. The cables attach to the cams at a long radius part, so the extra movement there is obvious but the short radius section moves very little. If I shorten the string to give a shorter draw length, which is the way I am supposed to adjust draw length in small amounts, the cams will under rotate in much the same way. This method of getting small draw length changes is the one recommended by Hoyt.( larger draw length changes use different cable modules).
    I see that a longer string could put the cams back into position, but that extra would add to the draw length which is already about right. I have used a longer string before, to try longer draw length and that put me into drawing too far and finding things got worse.

Thanks
    Lengthening the cables will reduce draw weight and shorten the draw length. A longer string will restore the string/cable length ratios.
    I assume the cam timing is still correct.
    Refit the original cables and check the draw length on a draw board and see what changes when the longer cables are fitted.
    Little boys never grow up. The toys just get more expensive

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 957 Posts
    Hi GoneBad, You are right about the shortening of draw length.
    By putting on longer cables, the most obvious change was a clear drop in peak draw weight. 45 down to 36.
    The movement outwards of the limbs, to bring that about, is fairly small. The draw length change is also fairly small, but I have recently used a longer string to get most of that back.
    I am not doubting what you are saying about the changes that happen as a result of longer cables.
    What I am thinking is that the changes to the nock travel should be a small reduction of the length of travel, rather than a change in the straightness, as I am using the same part of the cam profile from full draw forwards, with just a tiny bit missing at the end of the power stroke. The equivalent of a higher brace height. Cam timing did not change with the cable changes.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456