Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limb string groove

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeD View Post
    The string sits in the groves top and bottom with no problems. I just wonder why the lower limb has more wear than the upper.
    My previous post supplies the answer... it's the fact that the lower limb is generally adjusted to be stiffer.
    Face it you can't expect the behaviour of two limbs in a bow which by it's nature is slightly asymmetric* to be identical!
    Del
    * If you grip at the geometric centre the string and arrow pass are above centre. If the arrow pass is at the centre then the grip is below.
    The fingers on the string are also not symmetrical with respect to the arrow or the grip.
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

Thanks
    Winding the settings all the way in may not show you the riser geometry. It may just show you the differences in the limbs. They tend not to be made in pairs, in mass production methods, and mfrs rely on people being able to adjust kit to fit...
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 962 Posts
    The string sits in the groves top and bottom with no problems. I just wonder why the lower limb has more wear than the upper.
    I can see why you would want an answer to that; I would, too.
    If you look at the bow when it is strung, there may be some clues.
    Are the string grooves the same length on both limbs? Does the string sit in both grooves nicely? By that I mean does the string want to settle centrally in the grooves or is one tending to be off to one side? Are the notches on the sides of each limb tip, level with each other and equally deep? Is the serving that is rubbing away the limb, a bit rough?
    If you can hold the bow upright, really firmly, or get some one to hold it, try to push the nocking point up and down, and pay close attention to the way the limb tips curl and uncurl. You may detect a rubbing at the bottom that doesn't happen at the top.
    I have seen damage of this sort on an old beginners' bow. The damage looks as if the serving windings have dug through the varnish. By that I mean there appears to be short lines across the grooves as if something has rubbed side to side. When the grooves are made, the file would be pushed up and down along the groove, so the damage is at right angles to that sort of rubbing. That might indicate that the limb tip was twisting side to side in the last few vibrations before the bow becomes still after a shot.
    That might happen at both ends, but if the varnish is a bit thinner at the bottom, it could wear through sooner.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffretired For This Useful Post:

PeD (24-06-19)

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    My guess, without seeing the bow, either static or being shot, is that your tiller is out a little.
    The lower limb moves forward and stops earlier (wrapping the string further round the limb) than the top. The top then catches up and yanks it back, maybe causing a little friction, hence the wear. This might be a consistent thing, but it is something that someone with an inconsistent hand position can produce. Pushing down with the heel of the hand will be different to shooting with the grip up in the web of the thumb.
    So two options; consider a tiller tweak and/or see what your son's hand position is like.

Of course, your son, with a birthday coming up, may take the view that the limbs are on the way out and it's time for a new pair
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timid Toad View Post
    My guess, without seeing the bow, either static or being shot, is that your tiller is out a little.
    The lower limb moves forward and stops earlier (wrapping the string further round the limb) than the top. The top then catches up and yanks it back, maybe causing a little friction, hence the wear. This might be a consistent thing, but it is something that someone with an inconsistent hand position can produce. Pushing down with the heel of the hand will be different to shooting with the grip up in the web of the thumb.
    So two options; consider a tiller tweak and/or see what your son's hand position is like.

Of course, your son, with a birthday coming up, may take the view that the limbs are on the way out and it's time for a new pair
    Thank you for your answer. Im beginning to think its a tiller a little out of whack.

Bit worried though you realising his birthday is coming up!

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeD View Post
    Thank you for your answer. I’m beginning to think it’s a tiller a little out of whack.

Bit worried though you realising his birthday is coming up!
    Entirely a tongue in cheek guess... It's always a teen's birthday coming up.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12