Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: taking up the warbow

In the Black
    Thanks
    I'm 18 and I've shot since I was 7 years old, always longbow.

I shot a 30lb bow for 5 years, 40lb for 3, 50lb for 1, 55/60lb for 1, I now shoot a 70lb bow and can for 15 dozen or so, and I'm moving up to the warbow soon hopefully, I just keep upping the number of arrows I shoot each session, I've never developed an injury from going up the poundage.

I've got a weird physique from it though.. haha

My advice is this, take it slow, stop shooting as soon as it becomes painful, whether thats your shoulder, your neck, your bow arm or your drawing arm, or drawing fingers for that matter. It isn't worth the time it takes to recover from an injury to get back into it.

Thanks
    If you are worried about jumping or skipping forward on the shooting line, this guy has a training regime to cure it

English Warbows On The Bruce - YouTube

Thanks
    Go for it. Biggest factor to start with, are you a 7 stone wimp who couldn`t pull the skin off a rice pudding? Or is your core strength quite good before hand? It makes a difference obviously. I target shoot with a 92lb bow most saturdays for 5 or 6 hrs. It doesn`t take long to get used to it. Going up to 120Lbs plus , then you will need to take it easy and train up a bit. Be careful with some bows. I have tried a few 100lb plus bows that are a pig to draw, and the limbs are that slow the arrow falls flat on its face. I find Irondale makes a good high poundage bow, and they are quick.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Bow Pete View Post
    If you are worried about jumping or skipping forward on the shooting line, this guy has a training regime to cure it

English Warbows On The Bruce - YouTube
    I don't understand why he draws down into the ground, and then rocks back to loose? he's holding full draw for a couple of seconds and I don't understand the mechanical gain. If you lean forward bow slack, and then lean back as you draw you would come up to full draw as you reach your ear and loose instantly. That makes more sense to me. This looks entertaining, but it's so slow? And pointless. Or am I missing something?

In the Green
    Thanks
    There is a new warbow society in the works as I type, and it exclusively deals with self wood warbows. Everyone is welcome, though politics is not. I have PM'd you details!- - - Updated - - -

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567