Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Clearance problem on new bow - help!

Thanks
    I had the same issue with my compound bow; I was using XX75S (heavy) but once I started shooting over 50 yards, the sight needed to be dropped too low. A set of painfully expensive (to me) ACGs sorted it; 80 yards was no problem. A shame Iíve lost a few too many...

In the Green
    Thanks
    Confirming, DL nock to throat of grip is 27.25in + 1.75 = 29in. BH=8 7/8in with 1/4in positive tiller. Also double checked nock height and is set to equal positive tiller (I read somewhere was a good starting point). I have been measuring my nock point from the rest to the top of the bottom NP and the measurement is 1/4in which is approx. 6.5mm. I'm using standard Easton G-nocks w/ large grooves which have a 4mm thickness top to bottom at the string groove. NPs are an easy experiment, tomorrow I could move up maybe 3mm? If this eliminates the contact I could follow with some bare shafts to see if they are still hitting at the same hight as fletched? Should I also change the way I measure NP height? You mention there are several ways, is your method to the bottom of the top NP more "standard"? If I add the thickness of the nock to the way I measure the height would be about 11mm which seems to be right in the middle of the range you suggest?

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    It doesn't matter how you measure nocking point, I just wanted to make sure you and I were measuring the same. As long as you are happy with how you do it, that's fine.

It does sound as though your np is a bit low. I would get some masking tape and make yourself some temporary nps (top *and* bottom - don't be tempted to use only one - your fingers will push the arrow down the string) and start about 13-14mm. ie too high, and bareshaft tune (at not less than 20m) your way down until the shaft is landing with the group. Don't worry about the left/right, it will be different, because if you can eliminate contact with your bow your arrows will have a lot more energy and you'll need to address that later. Always nocking point first.

Once you are happy with the vertical aspect, use some dental floss or serving thread and get a solid np on your string. I put a little superglue over the top to be certain it won't move. Then you can revisit bareshaft tuning for the spine/stiffness of your arrows. If you can do this at 30m with enough accuracy to be happy this is your best bet.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Timid Toad For This Useful Post:

scotts_cr (03-06-19)

In the Green
    Thanks
    Great advice TimidToad! I moved my NP up 3-4mm so that the top of the bottom NP is 11mm above my rest and the bottom of the top NP (your way of measuring) is 15mm above rest. I shot about 100 arrows today (ends of 6 fletched and 3 bare shaft) and not a single strike mark on the ledge! At 18m bare shafts are pretty much at same height as fletched, hitting about 2 inches to the left. Interestingly and consistently my fletched arrows are in the target straight or very slightly nock left where as the bare shafts have a consistent (all 3 arrows) alignment with the nock kicked over well to the right. I moved back to 30m where my groupings widened a fair amount and all of the shafts were entering similarly straight with the bare shafts hitting about 3-4 inches down and 4-5 inches to the left. Perhaps tomorrow early AM I can shoot again and move the NP down 1 or 2mm? or would I be better to shoot another 60-80 arrows at maybe 25m? Since I'm still working on form/release/etc. as the distance increased so does pilot error... that's why I shot a bunch of arrows and estimated a "sort of" average... Thanks again for your help!!!!

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Great that the contact issue (and possible problem with spine) is diagnosed. I am presuming you are a right handed archer, and for now, I would leave things as they are while you concentrate on form, and revisit tuning with some confidence in a month or two. Your description of your groups at 30m with bareshafts is pretty acceptable for most archers to be going on with. Be aware that moving your nock up will, of course, have changed your sightmarks at all distances. If this is a problem, you might want to retune sooner rather than later, but don't be tempted to go with a too low a nocking point in order to achieve distance - you will always end up with hitting the shelf as you have been.
    Have fun!
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Timid Toad For This Useful Post:

scotts_cr (03-06-19)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234