Slightly Less Amateur Questions

Jester_6

Hi Guys,

So after about 7 failed attempts I finally made a flemish twist that I was relatively happy with. It fits nicely on my bow with a good brace height (apologies for the wet hair/T-shirt in the BH pic) and after shooting about 50 shots or so I noticed nothing bad affecting my bow using the 452x material.

I used two strands with a thread count of 8 each making a total of 16 strands in my string.

Using end-loop serving as center serving worked perfectly well, in fact, I think using proper center serving on the flemish string would have made it slightly too thick for my arrows. My theory is that flemish twist is naturally thicker than endless loop string even if the thread count is the same, because of the twists. Am I right in assuming this?

Naturally, a few more questions popped up and if anyone can answer it, that would be great! :)

1.) I noticed that after every shot, the string on my bottom limb slips out of the "string groove" fashioned into the limb. Note that the string did not slip off the limb, it just slipped out of its groove. Does this happen often? Could it possibly be due to some dodgy twists in my loop? A picture is attached.

2.) Regarding knocking points. I do not have any commercially made knocking points. What alternatives can I use? I have a buddy that shoots a long bow and he just wrapped some fishing line at a point around his center serving to serve as a knocking point.

3.) They say 452x string is a "fast" string. Does this mean that the speed of the arrows is actually faster? I did not notice a remarkable difference shooting my arrows, but then again I don't know if it is actually possible to perceive a difference with the naked eye.

Thanks in advance for your replies! :)

Attachments

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
A flemish twist string will be fatter for those reasons, yes. Unfortunately it does look like your limb or limbs is developing a twist.
I use sewing thread and bostik for nocking points.

Jester_6

Is it possible to fix the twist in my limbs? I have had the same limbs for over 4 years now. I certainly do not leave my bow strung when unused.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Hmm. That depends on a lot. It is one limb, both, or the riser? Sometimes a slight twist can be corrected by carefully twisting it the opposite direction by hand, but the likelihood is the twist will return, or progress further. If it gets much worse than your photo I would stop shooting it for safety reasons.
You do need someone to actually get hands on and look at it.

Jester_6

Thanks for the advice! I will keep an eye on it, will also post a seperate thread on that as well to get some more opinions

buzz lite beer

With these bows sometimes there is a bit of lateral play when bolting the limbs down, (you can actually rock the limbs left and right in the limb pocket) if this is the case that would throw the limb tips out of line and cause the string to lie outside the groove giving the appearance of a twisted limb, to correct you can pack out the limb pocket edges to prevent any left to right "play" but then again with these bow limbs and their relatively simple glass and wood construction they do tend to take on a twist quite easily as suggested by timid toad, counter twisting the limb and holding it in place for a while can remove some of the twist. :)