better strings for recurve bow

fazer

I need some new strings of my bow i am useing angel majesty at presant but i do not like the way it wear's out.I was thinking of trying bcy 8125 can you tell me what is the best string to use and why

pmiddl

I use 8125 for outdoors, nice quality. Whats wrong with your Majesty? Ive had one for 2 years and havent seen any problems

tel

Fonz Awardee
never had a problem with majesty that I didn't cause - what sort of wear are you experiencing?

fazer

I use 8125 for outdoors, nice quality. Whats wrong with your Majesty? Ive had one for 2 years and havent seen any problems
It starts to fray after six months of use also now it dones not hold the twists in the string

C

Carebear11

I use BCY 452X, its very fast and I have found anyway that it last very well, have been shooting my current string for a year now and Im having no probs with it!

wingate_52

I am very pleased with my Angel Majesty strings. I have 3 indoor and 3 outdoor and rotate their use. Strings do wear out. I have stopped using a piece of leather to consolidate the individual fibres as I think this contributes to wear. My earlier Majesties went fluffy before individual fibres broke.

Desert Archer

It starts to fray after six months of use also now it dones not hold the twists in the string
No offense intended but it sounds like it just needs a good waxing and rub down. I've shot D-97 strings for a couple years. Just replaced them when I started making my own out of 8125. Been shooting 4 of my own since summer and they show no fraying or other signs of failure.

Dave

Kae

The American
American Shoot
Also, its worth observing how you store the strings between use. If you keep them loose in your kit bag, then they are going to rub against other objects, become unwound, get dirty etc, which will increase the rate of wear considerably.

I always keep my strings in a plastic bag, folded (but never along the serving), with one loop through the other. Regularly waxing (then stripping excess wax out), and this keeps the strings immaculate. One thing I would mention, is that the string performance deteriorates a long time before the string starts to stretch excessively, so I always replace strings annually.

My personal preference was for Fastflight initially, but since that's no longer made, I discovered 8125 and its fantastic! Easy to work with, settles quickly, and is a nice fast material that lasts well.

All the best & a Merry Crimbo,

Kae.

Big Dave

My personal preference was for Fastflight initially, but since that's no longer made, I discovered 8125 and its fantastic! Easy to work with, settles quickly, and is a nice fast material that lasts well.

Kae.
Absolutley true Kae!! 8125 is very easy to work with when compared to angel ASB which is very slippery when trying to tie it off.

8125 has a nice choice of colours to. but the shooting differance between strings is very small and alot of that can be how you make them.

not dead yet

Ironman
we've done strings b4. but a certain GMB archer uses my strings....452x not very impressed.
8125 is what she is using now.
although i believe some top scotish archers use 450. for their recurves

addo

Used fastflight+,fastflight,D75 and 8125,all served in the traditional way.....D75 is the fastest but i plumped for 8125.

A gentleman on this forum made me up some strings which had a new way of serving the end loops.Had normal centre serving and normal serving up to the end loops,but the end loops themselves were served only with 8125 itself.A little bit noisier but makes the 8125 as fast as traditionaly served D75.So the result is the stability that 8125 offers plus the speed of a D75 string.

Can't see me going back to served end loops,because this new method works really well for me.

gtek

452X is very tough on recurve limbs in certain conditions. Remember, this stuff was developed for compound buss cables, not recurve strings. The problem is that in some conditions the material is highly inelastic.

Three sets of Korean made limbs failed at the Beijing Olympic Games on the first day of official practice- two using 452X and one reportedly using a Brownell equivalent. Another set of Korean made limbs failed in the same manner on qualifying day, but it is not clear what string material was being used. in that case.

It seems that especially in hot conditions, the relatively inelastic Vectran component is not adequately cushioned by the relatively elastic Dyneema (or Spectra in the case of the Brownell equivalent) component, and this tends to put quite a shock load into the limb.

All the shooters I know who have successfully used 452X for a long period on a recurve (which I can count on one hand) have one thing in common- lots of twists (up to 1.1 twists/inch).

This certainly puts some degree of elasticity back into the string.

C

Carebear11

452X is very tough on recurve limbs in certain conditions. Remember, this stuff was developed for compound buss cables, not recurve strings. The problem is that in some conditions the material is highly inelastic.

Three sets of Korean made limbs failed at the Beijing Olympic Games on the first day of official practice- two using 452X and one reportedly using a Brownell equivalent. Another set of Korean made limbs failed in the same manner on qualifying day, but it is not clear what string material was being used. in that case.

It seems that especially in hot conditions, the relatively inelastic Vectran component is not adequately cushioned by the relatively elastic Dyneema (or Spectra in the case of the Brownell equivalent) component, and this tends to put quite a shock load into the limb.

All the shooters I know who have successfully used 452X for a long period on a recurve (which I can count on one hand) have one thing in common- lots of twists (up to 1.1 twists/inch).

This certainly puts some degree of elasticity back into the string.
I do not beleive this for a second, I have been shooting a 452X string for several months now. I shot and stored the bow in highest tempratures of 50 deg C in Egypt for a week. In that time I knoticed no difference in shock or vibration or any of the above mentioned problames. I use 16 strands with a BH of 22mm, not a huge amount of twists.

I also know of atleast 10 archers who have been shooting 452X for a good while with no problames. I know some people who would even say its the best they have ever shot with.

A

ASW1973

not that i need to say this but gtek is spot on:)
To back this up Chris Deston from BCY advises 8125 for recurves as he states that 452X is a bit harsh on recurves :)
It is possible that you may experience different but you are only dealing with a tiny number of strings, the two guys above either make the string material or deal with hundreds of competitive set ups so I would listen to them.
I will get an interview of chris at nimes and put it up on my site with respect to string materials etc.

gtek

I do not beleive this for a second, I have been shooting a 452X string for several months now
You are not required to believe it.

It is an observation of something which occured at a high level and high profile event, to people who may possibly shoot more than you do.

You are certainly entitled to ignore this observation.

john heff

AIUK Saviour
A gentleman on this forum made me up some strings which had a new way of serving the end loops.Had normal centre serving and normal serving up to the end loops,but the end loops themselves were served only with 8125 itself.A little bit noisier but makes the 8125 as fast as traditionaly served D75.So the result is the stability that 8125 offers plus the speed of a D75 string.

Can't see me going back to served end loops,because this new method works really well for me.
*IF* the method you speak of involves tieing a knot in the ends of the string and then wrapping those 'ends' outward from the knot, this method is demonstrated by Frank Pearson on BCY's 'Making a Bowstring' DVD. I believe it may be utilized more with compounds than with recurves, at least here in the U.S. - John

C

Carebear11

You are not required to believe it.

It is an observation of something which occured at a high level and high profile event, to people who may possibly shoot more than you do.

You are certainly entitled to ignore this observation.
I beleive that it happened, I was very worried about my own 452X string when I herd about it but what I dont beleive is that heat really badly effects the string.