Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boss for Home Shooting

In the Green
    Blog Entries

Boss for Home Shooting

Hi All,
    I bought a bonded polystyrene boss online last summer and it worked ok but the centre wore out pretty quickly. I saw some offcuts of insulation board in my neighbours garden which he let me have and I've found them much better to shoot at. Wicks and other builders outlets sell these boards in larges sizes which can be cut down to fit your needs. They work out much cheaper than the 'poly' one and last longer. The thickest ones with a silver covering are the best.
    I only shoot at 40ft/45ft in my garden and use a 16lb bow and 40cm target face. (I'm an old girl with a dickie heart so that's all I can manage). My arrows only penetrate about a third of the boss so that works fine for me.
    I think this type of material would suit a lot of home shooters so thought I would pass it on.
    Good Shooting

Etherfoam cost effective material which I stick my animal faces on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    With our thoughts we make the world

Senior Shirley - I can see you were well intentioned but most bows will only fleetingly be aware of the insulation board on the way to whatever actually stops them.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

I imagine this material will only work with very low poundage bow setups - I shoot 20 & 30 yard rounds at home with a laminated high-density closed cell foam boss, it was from a local packing company who had a load of 2"x18"x48" off cuts, 3 pieces glued together will comfortably stop ACCs from 40# on the fingers but arrow pulling can be a bit of a beggar.

it looks and feels a lot like Danage target faces but thankfully cost me nothing

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the Green
    Blog Entries
    I realise that the boards I'm using would suit very few people. That is why I mentioned the draw weight of my bow but perhaps there are others like myself who love practicing archery but haven't got the strength they once had. I'm finding the insulation works very well. As with everything, a little common sense is required when using materials not normal in archery.

Good for you. I always used to use a few layers of cardboard sellotaped together - what works, works.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast