Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making your own straw boss?

Blog Entries

Making your own straw boss?

I was wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial on the making of a straw boss.
    It's that time of year when the combines are out and after the straw has been bailed up there is always waste left of the field. Seems like an opportunity to gather it up and make a boss, but not sure how to go about it.
    Any help, advice appreciated.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. not dead yet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    hi graham

as your in north wales, have you actually done a beginnners course.
    are you a member of any club.
    or have you just bought a bow and you not a member of GNAS or any other archery governing body.

any chance you can p.m. me where you live
    this post is purely for the safty aspect of questions you are asking

pete
    north wales V.P.

Quote Originally Posted by not dead yet View Post
    hi graham

as your in north wales, have you actually done a beginnners course.
    are you a member of any club.
    or have you just bought a bow and you not a member of GNAS or any other archery governing body.

any chance you can p.m. me where you live
    this post is purely for the safty aspect of questions you are asking

pete
    north wales V.P.
    Pete, Hi

This thread seems to have died?

I have the same query, being surrounded by fields of short-straw barley. I suspect that wheat straw is the solution, though. That, and an enormous amount of patience and application making the column before winding and stitching and flattening it.

Perhaps there is a reason why foam, carpet, and correx are popular!

But if you do have a knowledge of how a straw boss is formed, I am interested.

And before you ask, I was an GNAS Instructor with GWAS in the 1960s / 1970s while a member of Kingston Archers, and am now a member of Soar Valley Archers and card-carrying GNAS!

regards and thanks

Gillies DP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GilliesDP View Post
    Pete, Hi

This thread seems to have died?

I have the same query, being surrounded by fields of short-straw barley. I suspect that wheat straw is the solution, though. That, and an enormous amount of patience and application making the column before winding and stitching and flattening it.

Perhaps there is a reason why foam, carpet, and correx are popular!

But if you do have a knowledge of how a straw boss is formed, I am interested.

And before you ask, I was an GNAS Instructor with GWAS in the 1960s / 1970s while a member of Kingston Archers, and am now a member of Soar Valley Archers and card-carrying GNAS!

regards and thanks

Gillies DP
    Sorry Gillies,

Pete hijacked the thread to ask me some questions because I had a contraversial thread going on about shooting in the back garden, which was winding people up a bit.

Incidentally I do not shoot at home as I have access to a field to practice in 10 mins drive away.

Regarding straw bosses, it just seemed an opportunity to save a few quid by trying to make your own but no one on here has been able to explain how they are made.

I bought a 60cm one and can confirm that the straw is compressed quite a lot and also has some sort of binding agent in it. I believe the straw is made into a rope which is bound with string, the rope is not round but has tapered sides to resist the energy delivered by arrows hitting it. That is why there is a definate front and back to straw bosses. The rope is then coiled to form the boss and string is used to hold the coils together.
    I am not sure if some also use a wire to bind things together.
    Thats as much as I know or been able to find out about them I'm afraid.

I image some machinery is involved in order to comress and form the straw rope and am not sure this could be achieved by hand.

I have not tried to make one but would love to know how they are made.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Graham
    Some say I'm the worst danger - but it is not true

Quote Originally Posted by pentrekeeper View Post
    Sorry Gillies,

Pete hijacked the thread to ask me some questions because I had a contraversial thread going on about shooting in the back garden, which was winding people up a bit.

Regarding straw bosses, it just seemed an opportunity to save a few quid by trying to make your own but no one on here has been able to explain how they are made. Thats as much as I know or been able to find out about them I'm afraid.

I have not tried to make one but would love to know how they are made.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Graham
    Graham, Hi

Thank you so much for the explanation. As a club we mainly use the foam target bosses indoors. But with straw so eco-friendly and available .. and ideal outdoors ..

I'll see if further research winkles out the straw boss-making process in detail!

Regards

Gillies

In the Blue
    Blog Entries
    making straw bosses is a closely guarded secret first they make straw rope then coil it i tried to visit their factory and was told no chance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast