Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When does spine start to matter - low poundage.

In the Blue

When does spine start to matter - low poundage.

When does the spine start to make much of a difference.

At the poundage my daughter is shooting, it seems impossible to get arrows that would actually match to the spine she would need. The calculator works out they would need to be about 4000 spine!

Obviously she has had the weakest arrows we can get but at what point does it actually make much of a difference?

Blog Entries
    Entirely depends what she is shooting... does it have a cut away arrow pass?
    The actual spine is often far less important than having the arrows all the same.
    We get lured into minutae by target archers shooting at 70 with sights and modern equipment.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the Blue
    Spine makes a difference the instant you want to adjust a sight for elevation only and not have to make one for windage too.

The ONLY thing a properly matched spine does is ensure that your arrow travels precisely up and down so that you don't need windage adjustment. Anything other than that is supposition, but some people just can't let go of other mystical properties.

In the Blue
    Interesting,

What about the reason given that the less work the fletchings have to do, the more accurate your groupings become?

My current arrows are a bit on the stiff side, and as you stated the further away I go the more I have to move my sight left. They seem to shoot reasonably well with all three fletchings on but the bareshaft goes left quite a lot. Does the fact that the fletchings are working so hard not lead to inaccuracies ie with from tolerances within the fletchings / attachment of the fletchings etc?

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, not sure that makes sense...
    My train of reasoning...
    Once the arrow clears the bow, it's centre of mass should be pretty much travelling in a straight line (plus or minus some waggle which should settle down)*
    The sideways deviation of that line is presumable proportional to the set up of the bow (including the arrow spine).
    Before the arrow leaves the bow, the flights have negligible effect as the arrow is still on the string.
    If the above two assertions are true, then it follows that fletchings won't shift the sideways deviation....
    Thoughts, comments?
    Del
    * I realise that you can make trick arrows that don't fly in a straight line (horizontally) but that requires c of g being very close to geometric centre.
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the Blue
    That's if that reason is valid. Grouping is about consistency. If everything is consistent, you will not be able to help but place arrows into the same hole because that's how physics works.

If the fletchings are doing the SAME amount of any work, your arrows will group provided everything else is the same. Just be wary of anyone who starts insinuating that an arrow can somehow know and compensate for being aimed off target, or being able to "compensate" in some way to make it magically steer to where it was intended, rather than to where it was aimed.

This belief pops up regularly in the archery community amongst those that indulge in the same sort of thinking that lets astrology continue to flourish.

Spine and it being consistent amongst your arrows always matters for the grouping potential of your arrows. It's directly related.

Fletches seek to reduce the effect of variables. But keep in mind that consistent variations are no longer variables. Crap arrow flight doesn't mean arrows won't group. It just introduces potential opportunity for variables.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast