Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: From the Lions' Den - A freestylers' journey.

In the Blue
    No Emma, I'm visiting Merlin in 'Durham' (Bishop Auckland) as it's 'only' 52 miles away, NEXT Friday. I've been coordinating with Ollie in Loughborough & Andy in Durham for weeks to make sure the bitz I want are waiting for me in-store. The 'Sjef' version of the Curve sight isn't even on their site, they very nicely ordered one in especially for me so top marks there

More testing tonight!

After a bit of thought (inspired by post-football boredom!) I've been at the Milliput again, and have extended the height of the 'nipple' (REALLY need to find a better word for it than that!) on the thumb-shelf of my tab. Guessing about +3mm, I didn't measure the first time, just doing it by trial-and-error really.

Here's a brace of pre-sanding/painting pics of the 'improved' design. I've tried it out with the 'morning' session of SPTs & found it's now tall enough to find the spot under the jawline where there's a 'tender' point - I suspect caused by 'dental root issues'. Anyway it's very small & not actually painful but does give me a much more accurate reference to a consistent anchor point, which is the purpose of the exercise after all.

I also spent an hour with needle-and-thread, making sure that my chestguard not only fits as well as I can make it but will also not move. Checked with both shooting-shirt alone & with a sleeveless fleece on top - if it's colder/wetter than that, Lion will be staying in the den!
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the Blue
    I'm thinking the club should have more '24 hr notice' shoots after tonight - there were a whole TEN people shooting tonight

Don't know how to divide it up between PERFECT conditions, the new 'fin' on the tab (knew I'd find a better word eventually!) & sights that I could aim at the gold;

but I managed 26 points better tonight than Sunday

a 469 Portsmouth, hence I can trade in my 425 badge for a 450 on Sunday.

Yes, a bit sore that I didn't make the extra 6 points for a 475 but it gives me something to go for next midweek. (Hoping to be shooting WA70 again on Sunday, the forecast is great. Monday too, apparently - coach prefers to shoot on bank holidays than do all the usual stuff. Good on 'im!

Took ages to get home though, there were THREE serious accidents on the A69 while we were shooting, Air Ambulance jobs all. Road closed for 14 miles. Had to divert via one-track country lanes up to the 'Military Road' & come home 'the back way'.

'The pup' was glad to see me though - or just very hungry, more like
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the Blue
    This is what the finned tab looks like after shaping/smoothing/painting. Still think the acrylic model paint wears off too quickly though, might be worth getting some enamel (eventually!)

It has definitely improved the 'feel' of my anchor point, I don't think it needs any further extension now. Slides smoothly away on release too, far better than the original naked shelf - which did actually abrade my chin-skin to the point of bloodiness (despite my goatee) before the mod.

I have noted with joy that there always seem to be 'a decent number' of guests reading this thread. If it helps any of you to decide to take up the sport, or to change disciplines to Freestyle, or even to avoid ONE of the many errors I've made, then the whole exercise will have been well worth it.
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920