Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Correct" arrow length

Quote Originally Posted by jonUK76 View Post
    Thanks Karl, that's interesting. I suppose seeing as we seem to be using similar setups to some degree, one reason I'm running out of sight travel and you aren't might be down to differences in anchor position relative to the eyes etc. I think I'm right in assuming things like face shape can make quite a difference? BTW I wasn't considering cutting the existing arrows but more likely getting ACE's correctly spined for the shorter length. ACE's are a fair bit lighter than ACC's anyway though, so I'm thinking it might not be necessary to cut them so aggressively, which as Geoff pointed out gives little room for error.

I anchor below my jaw - never given any thought to that affecting sight positioning.

Didnt realise it was the new arrows you were proposing to have shorter as for fletchings, my own fletching are 1.5” Bohning shield vanes which are very low profile.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the Blue
    I would think that those with (for want of a better term) a "longer" face, having more distance between their jaw and eye, would get more elevation at a given sight position (and hence be less likely to run into problems with sight marks) than those with a shorter face. It makes sense in my mind at least

On the times I shoot barebow, I often forget to change anchor from under the jaw to the corner of the mouth for the first shot or two, and when this happens my arrow usually fly's well over the target... Small changes make a big difference to where the arrows go..

In the Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by jonUK76 View Post
    I would think that those with (for want of a better term) a "longer" face, having more distance between their jaw and eye, would get more elevation at a given sight position (and hence be less likely to run into problems with sight marks) than those with a shorter face. It makes sense in my mind at least

On the times I shoot barebow, I often forget to change anchor from under the jaw to the corner of the mouth for the first shot or two, and when this happens my arrow usually fly's well over the target... Small changes make a big difference to where the arrows go..
    Yes, simple geometry will tell you by how much. Just multiply the change in vertical change anchor point by the ratio of the target distance to the "sight base", ie the distance from eye to aim point (sight pin, arrow point, mark on bow)

For example if your eye is 1m from your sight pin, or arrow tip, or whatever is serving as a "foresight", then the difference in point of impact is just the anchor point change times target distance in metres. So a 1cm lower anchor would mean arrows going 30cm higher at 30m.

Using 1m just makes the numbers easier, it would be ridiculously long for arrows e.g. if using the point as an aiming mark, but quite plausible with a recurve sight on an extended sight bar. In reality it might be more like 80cm from eye to aiming point, in which case multiply by the ratio of target distance to sight base.

So vertical change in arrow impact point = vertical change in anchor point, multiplied by range to target, divided by sight base

In the Blue
    Thanks, that's a great explanation

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123