Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Accuracy of american flatbow vs one piece recurve

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A16KSB View Post
    Latest update.
    I had some spare 45-50lb 11/32 shafts and made up some bare shafts today, based on the recommendation I received last week, and as I suspected they took an extreme right path away from the target, (indicating they were too weak), so I am not sure why she recommended them, and will contact her today.
    The problem with bare shafting with timber is that you have to have a very good shaft match to make it meaningful. I bare shaft religiously, but only do it with wood when I have made the shafts myself out of one billet with straight grain. Please let us know what her response is. I am fascinated.

In the Black
    Thanks
    Hi there.
    I was basically told that of all the arrows we tested, (5 or 6 different spine combinations) the spine recommended to me flew the best. So to sum it up, it is not what the books, internet or people say it is what works for you.

I shall leave you to draw your own conclusion.
    I will however test some bare shafts rated at 55-60 and 60-65, then make a set of arrows based on the set with the best arrow flight.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there.
    I was basically told that of all the arrows we tested, (5 or 6 different spine combinations) the spine recommended to me flew the best. So to sum it up, it is not what the books, internet or people say it is what works for you.

I shall leave you to draw your own conclusion.
    I will however test some bare shafts rated at 55-60 and 60-65, then make a set of arrows based on the set with the best arrow flight.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A16KSB For This Useful Post:

blakey (19-11-14)

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Hi,

Sadly, it is sometimes those who earn their living based on an archery reputation, that can never admit they were wrong.

It is certainly true that "what works for you....." however, the advice I have read here is more useful and accurate.

I can only pass on my experiences. I have been shooting a longbow for 7 years and just changed over to an AFB. It is less forgiving, largely due to the shorter length. Mine is a basic KG Archery bow as recommended by English Bowman back in the summer. It's 54# @28" but I draw 29.5" and therefore it's 57# on my fingers. Having shot a huge variety of arrows (both spine and pile variants) I found the best match at that poundage were 60# spine 11/32 POC shafts, reduced to 5/16ths at the pile, fitted with 80gn points and rear tapered to 9/32nds. Incidentally, the fletchings are 3" parabolics. I have POA on gold at 50m (55yds) and the arrow speed is 188.2 - 188.4 fps.

As English Bowman says, without seeing you shoot it's not possible to give any direct advice. Perhaps with the exception of one thing-DON'T listen to the drivel you've been told by someone selling you products with vast experience! This is not the first time I've been told of such misleading advice.

I hope it helps.
    A man who lives within his means is lacking imagination!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234