Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow Backstop netting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In the White
    Thanks

Arrow Backstop netting

I am setting up a home target for practise ... I can use a safe location, but want to include a 'backstop net' behind target ... as there is a brick wall (8m x 6m behind target) .... so no problem on safety if I miss .. wall would stop arrow - but not very gently.

I could arrange to have a hanging net for example 200mm in front of wall.

My question is had anybody used anything other than an official backstop net - which is too expensive for home use.

Has anybody come up with easily handleable alternative .... one thought is Site Debris Netting ... this is the fabric they attach to outside of scaffolding to prevent debris coming down form on high ... eg

ZEBEL 1m X 50m Green Scaffold Debris Garden Safety Net Fence Protection Netting | eBay

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I bought a small back stop net (from Quicks) as there was no decent alternative.
    Mind, even backstop netting won't stop a bodkin point from a heavy bow or a slim flight arrow.
    See pic at bottom of this post!
    Bowyer's Diary: Twisted Beltane Hazel
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

In the White
    Thanks
    Thinking that 2 hanging layers of Debris netting may do the job ...the fact that they hang loose in folds is where energy is stopped.
    I'm only intending Recurve and standard target points.

In the Gold
    Thanks
    I erected some debris netting behind one of the targets at the field course due to the presence of rock. It is four fold and stops arrows from low poundage bows, either by absorbing the energy or by catching the fletches when the arrow penetrates. Arrows from stronger bows just pass through but as these guys usually have sights, they have to live with the consequences of missing a 120cm boss from 45m (the rock normally wins). I would suggest you try in an open space before you trust it in front of a wall. Also 200mm is not enough as an arrow shot from something more than about 35lb will send the netting back roughly 0.5m - discovered by experience when the goal posts were not removed from behind the backstop netting in the sportshall and the 300mm gap was not enough.

BillM
    If you wait long enough, the inevitable will finally happen.

In the White
    Thanks
    OK ... thanks for that will need to rethink my backdrop then. If I can't get deeper spacing, then have to look at Option B - which is a hanging carpet - just didn't want to make place look like Pikeys had moved in.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have heard that trampoline netting is just the thing! I don't have space to practice at home, so have not tried it though.....
    Section 209 archer - Compound Barebow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast