Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coping with breaks in a round

Thanks

Coping with breaks in a round

I am after some suggestions and personal experiences on how to deal with the breaks you get during some rounds.

Outdoor rounds have natural breaks of half an hour or an hour where the target distances are changed between sets of arrows and where I shoot indoors the club shoots half a Portsmouth then takes a 15 minute break before finishing the round off.

My problem is that the first couple of ends after the break my shooting goes to pot, the last 6 arrows tonight before the break were 10-10-9 10-9-9 but after the break the next six were 8-7-6 8-8-7 thankfully I managed to pull it back this week (other weeks not).

So What do you do guys ? How do you keep warm, keep focus, keep your scores consistent ?

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 931 Posts
    Hi Karl,
    When I practise, I shoot a few arrows only before taking a deliberate break. That means I might sometimes only shoot three arrows then stop and walk round the garage or wherever. It is the breaks that spoil the routine( one reason some like to shoot all six arrows at once rather than two ends of three.)
    But, just taking lots of breaks is not the end of the matter; there is a second aspect to work on. I remind myself of the element of the shot that is currently my focus and make sure I know what that is before starting the first shot after any break. That first shot has to be done to plan; not just done to get going. It isn't a sighter that isn't going to score; it will count so has to be good.
    I find learning to switch off between the shooting is as important as learning to switch on. It is the switching off that allows us to practise switching on.
    Having the ability to switch off and on at will, is very useful. The more you break the routine, the easier it gets to step back in, and the better equipped we are to learn what we are actually doing. We can find out the differences between those first shots and the ones that follow, and work on making them more alike.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffretired For This Useful Post:

Corax67 (21-11-15)

Thanks
    It might help to figure out why a break is having an effect.
    The causes might be physical or mental, with different solutions.

Some possibilities: falling out of "the groove", muscles cooling down, memory (forgetting exactly what it was you were doing), paying too much attention to things, not paying enough attention, anxiety about the break (catch 22!)...
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rik For This Useful Post:

Corax67 (21-11-15)

Thanks
    Thanks chaps - I have acquired a foam target (only 60x60) and I have more than enough room to set it up @ 20ds in the garden so I can hopefully practice most days now.

Rik : physical or mental ? Hmmm ........ I would probably say mental, think I am losing focus - before sighter #1 I will have set up the bow, stretched & warmed up, placed my foot marker, visualised the first shot and got my head fully into the game for at least the last 5 mins. Break time is usually filled with banter or fettling one another's kit as well as tea & biccies then the one minute warning and into the next set, almost certainly not paying enough attention.

Geoff : practising breaks sounds like the way to go and I can see that as both you & Rik point out the mental aspect then this I need to get a handle on too (a bit more difficult).

So so much to learn & master

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 931 Posts
    I think it is quite easy to fall into a routine that is based on shooting six arrows or even three arrows, where the routine is, " make a shot, load next arrow, make another shot, load next arrow etc etc. Running alongside that routine are variables like, "don't do another like that," or " one more like those and it's a max score for this end". So the routine is full of different mind sets and internal chatter.
    Shooting six arrows and not knowing why they went well, is almost as unhelpful as shooting six arrows and not knowing why they went badly.
    I don't think it is too helpful, to just shoot the arrow and try, afterwards, to guess what went wrong. If we have something precise to focus on we can say afterwards whether or not that aspect was done well, or not.
    As an example, the bow arm may be doing unwanted things to different degrees from shot to shot. We could ask ourselves after each shot, " did my bow arm act as I planned it? YES or NO? Knowing the question will be coming after the shot helps to focus the mind. Give the mind freedom to think about whatever it likes, and it will take the opportunity and do what IT wants.

Thanks
    P
    Quote Originally Posted by Corax67 View Post
    I am after some suggestions and personal experiences on how to deal with the breaks you get during some rounds.

Outdoor rounds have natural breaks of half an hour or an hour where the target distances are changed between sets of arrows and where I shoot indoors the club shoots half a Portsmouth then takes a 15 minute break before finishing the round off.

My problem is that the first couple of ends after the break my shooting goes to pot, the last 6 arrows tonight before the break were 10-10-9 10-9-9 but after the break the next six were 8-7-6 8-8-7 thankfully I managed to pull it back this week (other weeks not).

So What do you do guys ? How do you keep warm, keep focus, keep your scores consistent ?

Karl
    We shot our first major comp of the outdoor season, a 1440 last weekend. The lunch break was 45 mins, much too long. To cap that we resumed on the hardest distance for everybody, on the small face. What a group of us did after we'd finished complaining, was shoot a dozen or so arrows into blank butts, just to warm up again. At least it got everything moving. Not that it helped me much. I am quite capable of shooting a 1440 straight through without a break, and I always shoot 50-80 points better in practice. A lot of that is because I get into the zone and stay there. I think next comp I'll spend all of lunch shooting on the blank butt just to see if I can maintain my concentration.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blakey For This Useful Post:

Corax67 (23-11-15)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast