Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning for Tens Vs Easton Tuning Guide

In the Blue
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Tuning for Tens Vs Easton Tuning Guide

Hi folks. I've recently been doing some tuning on my bow, and following the Easton Tuning Guide.

When I first did tuning about 4 years ago, I followed the Tuning for Tens guide, but I've not used it since.

However, having just had another read of it, there's quite different techniques for tuning compared to the Easton guide.

For example paper tuning using bare shafts vs fletched shafts, stiff button vs sprung button. I'm sure there more as well.

Why is there such a variation in the methods, and any advice on which is the best guide?

Thanks
    I don't find paper tuning valuable for recurve. Bare shafts and walkback tuning for me.

Thanks
    Yes, me too. I always tune like that.
    Where are my dancing penguins? I was promised penguins ............

In the Black
    Thanks
    IMO

Much depends on how good you are but really wouldn't worry too much about fine tuning your bow. Your set up looks fine. Joe Tapaery I think looked at and measured a load of buttons on top level archers and came to the conclusion that the button needs to be fully compressed with a weight of 340g. (+-/30g). Archery setup is not that precise a science - if it was then bows would have to be redesigned to make them less sensitive to micro changes.

1] Set up your centre shot (youve done that by the looks of it)
    2] Set your knock height - but be aware - my nock traveled 2cm (yes 20mm) too high at the end of last season - I shot two 590+ at 70m like that).
    3] It broad terms the button should be mildly squishy..
    4] Check clearance - you've played with that. If the arrows gets past cleanly then job done. Arrows being a bit stiff rather than too floppy is good but don't get anal about the numbers.
    4] Make sure that the sight pin travels parallel to the string - this makes sure that you dont need to fiddle too much with windage with different distances.

With the above rough set up you should be capable of banging out 620s on a Fita 70m. You hear too many stories of high level archers shooting good scores with rubbish setups. Invariably its not the bow setup..its you..
    Last edited by Bobc; 26-01-17 at 10:52 AM. Reason: speeeling

In the Blue
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    So between those 2 guides, is it just case of see what works?

In the Black
    Thanks
    The question is one of what do you mean by working? You can spend hours getting your bareshafts to land in the middle of your fletched shafts - and that's kind of fun. If you make it happen at 18m there's no guarantee that it will happen at 90m. Even if it happens it doesn't mean it will have much impact on your score - unless, I guess, you're at MB or above level. Its called tuning for tens for a reason. If at 70m you're struggling to group the arrows in the ten and the group is spilling out shamelessly into the 9 and even occasionally into the 8 then possibly these refined techniques help. Otherwise its rather like inflating skateboard tyres with helium to improve performance......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast