Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilemma Choosing First Bow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In the Black
    Thanks

Question Dilemma Choosing First Bow

Evening all,
    right as I might have mentioned in my intro thread I'm new to archery, now only got to wait 2 more weeks for the beginners course to start (seems about a year since I booked it). thoughts have turned to the first bow purchase, rather than just drooling at the various websites.
    With all the reading I've done I understand that draw weight can change quite a bit during the first year or so as your musculature adapts to shooting and this is causing the dilemma, as I have the firm ambition of joining the stick and string brigade (ELB chapter) do I dive right in and buy the big stick at a lowish poundage knowing that in a short time ill be needing to upgrade or play with say a flatbow or trad recurve for a few months until I have a better idea of a comfortable poundage.
    the usual financial factor is at play here as my head doesn't really want to be handing over 4-500 beer tokens for a big stick and twigs that turn out to be fairly temporary suitability wise, against the heart that's dead set on sailing across the channel and laying siege to Calais and isn't at all interested in being sensible.
    Matt

Thanks
    Wait.

Once you've started your beginner's course you may change your mind about where you want to go. If you still want to go longbow afterwards then it's a different matter.

You could buy a starter bow, like the ones you'll learn on, and build up the poundage until a new longbow won't need to be replaced with a heavier one in a matter of months.

Or just get really cheap longbows until you feel settled enough to shell out the big penny's.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chuffalump For This Useful Post:

HongKongPhooey (24-05-19)

In the Black
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffalump View Post
    Wait.

Once you've started your beginner's course you may change your mind about where you want to go. If you still want to go longbow afterwards then it's a different matter.

You could buy a starter bow like the ones you'll learn on and build up the poundage until a new longbow won't need to be replaced with a heavier one in a matter of months.
    thanks that's exactly what the head is saying, buy a beginner's recurve shoot barebow and upgrade the limbs as and when needed then buy the longbow.
    the impatient bugger is saying hey you have a physical job and you train martial arts so you should be able to draw higher poundage than expected to start with :-D

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes, absolutely wait. I know that's a nightmare, but hang on those couple of weeks and take advantage of the kit supplied on your beginners' course. Until you've tried it, archery is another world, and you'll have a complete revelation. Work with the club kit and the coach's advice for as long as you can before spending a penny.
    Then, arrange to go with your coach or an experienced archer, to your local shop. Let the shop know you are coming and what you want to look at - no good if they don't have that sort of thing in stock. Saturdays are frequently very busy so you might not get a lot of attention if you have to go then. Make sure they know your budget *and stick to it* you'll be like a kid in a sweetie shop and it's easy to come away with everything you need and load of stuff you don't.
    Have fun on your beginners' course!
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Hi Matt,

it’s boring and sensible advice time I’m afraid.

Before my beginners course I’d had several ‘have a go’ sessions at various clubs and obsessed in shops & online on what shiny kit I was going to buy & shoot.

My 6-week course was on club recurve kit starting out with 16# limbs and finishing on 26# - at week 4 I was offered a friend of a friends complete setup for silly money as they too had bought before the course and packed archery in within 3 months. I snapped it up despite the advice to hold off.

I am a big guy, 6’3” doing a very physical manual job but I admit that brute strength means little in this game and good form wins hands down every time. Within 12 months I was shooting 40# off my fingers (36# carbon limbs & 28” draw) and had had to sell off the limbs from the kit I initially bought as they were too low, also had to sell on the arrows - now the bargain is looking less like a bargain but it would have hurt a lot more if I’d paid full price for them.

Club support is amazing so take full advantage of it: use club risers, limbs and stabilisers as long as you can - in our club 12 months or more - until everything beds in.

I came to longbow following an injury where I couldn’t shoot recurve using an old club bow got the bug really badly and bought my next two as “pre-loved” bows from fellow club members as they upgraded before blitzing £400 on my Gary Evans competition bow.

By the time this dented my retirement fund I’d been shooting 3 years - I can manage my 50# ELB for a full York or 1440 but struggle with my club mate Bill’s 55# Gary Evans for the same rounds.

Don't go buying before your course is over, use the club kit and just enjoy the learning curve & look out for club members selling off kit - take as much advice as you can before you do buy. Try out a longbow if you can before buying one as they don’t suit everyone - they should but they don’t - and getting the wrong one is an expensive mistake.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Corax67 For This Useful Post:

HongKongPhooey (25-05-19)

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I didn't wait!

(3 years ago now)

...But I knew even before the course that I wanted to do Olympic Recurve.

I'd done enough research to be confident about my initial choice - Core Pro Metal Riser & 70" 30lb Pulse limbs (I'm a large dude & a former semi-pro Gridiron player) with an Avalon Tyro 9" sight & Tyro stabiliser set.

I've just moved on to my 1st ILF bow, at 36lbs. (WNS Axiom Alpha w/ Samick Ideal limbs & Avalon Tec-X Olympic sights)

...but I'm keeping the Core as I can get 40lb limbs (for SPT training & clouts) for less than £30.

Yes, the sensible thing to do is wait, but that's advice, not some kind of capital law. I've had zero regrets
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LionOfNarnia For This Useful Post:

HongKongPhooey (24-05-19)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast