Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rebuilding strength after illness, any advise please

In the Red
    Thanks
    interesting, i have an elbow trainer sling thing, so this would work
    so is the theory that i use the poundage im shooting now ( eg 28 lb) or that i use the poundage i want to get to?

In the Blue AIUK subscriber.
    Thanks
    Either. It's about building muscles. You could use your current poundage and get to 30+30*30 faintly quickly, then up-weight... or start with your full weight on 15+15*15?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bolerus View Post
    interesting, i have an elbow trainer sling thing, so this would work
    so is the theory that i use the poundage im shooting now ( eg 28 lb) or that i use the poundage i want to get to?
    If you shoot 28lb now and aim to shoot 40lb I would not go straight 40lb to train with or you may well injure yourself. You can gradually build up your weight by holding your current weight longer. Draw and hold for 10 seconds 10 times. Rest. If this is okay draw and hold for 20 seconds 10 times. Rest. Draw and hold for 30 seconds 10 times. Rest. When you are comfortable move up in weight. I use cheap second hand limbs for this. In 9 months I have gone from 32lb to 40lb even with arthritis in both shoulders. Just don't rush it.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

In the Red
    Thanks
    not massively relevant, but

I was finding it a bit weird having to look around at the stop watch on my phone ( for some reason the only real clock i have at home has a very dodgy second hand that doesent work when you look at it ---- i kid you not)

So I wrote a little vb.net app that lets you put in the number of reps you want, how long you want to hold for and how long you want to rest in between. and it bleeps at you with each change, so you know when to come down etc...i did originally use windows system sounds, but they sounded a bit cheesy.

I may edit it and use some custom wav file, we will see.

currently doing ( or at least last nigth) 20 second hold, 40 second rest ( to make a round minute) and 20 reps.. plan is to slowly increase the hold and reps while decreasing the rest to get to 30-30-30

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I had the same issue, but found a much lower-tech solution!

- A mug of cold water takes almost exactly 60 seconds to boil.

I don't worry about pause time, I do a set of exercises whenever I feel like it during the day, alternating between 'strength' & 'endurance'. Sometimes I finish mid-afternoon, sometimes I'm still at it past midnite. With FMS it's neither sensible or indeed often possible to set an exact routine - for anything. I do what I can, when I can, and it's working. I've gone from shooting #30 in March to about-to-step-up to #42.

tbt I'm not convinced that some of what people are suggesting is as useful as it could be. For strength I use "7-plus-2"s (Hold for 7s, release for 2) starting with 6 reps, now up to 8 & thinking of 10. For endurance I started with a 45s hold, now that I'm comfortable with the whole minute, well that's where the kettle comes in - plus I can reward m'sel with a nice cuppa afterwards!
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123