Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Archery shops - Are they taking the mick? (Online orders)

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    You don't get free delivery for anything. It's either included in the purchase cost or added on afterwards. A few shops offer free delivery if you spend over 100.
    Everyone on here needs to consider their hourly rate at work, then work out how long it would take to download and print your order, pick, pack label and post it, and don't forget materials, especially for arrows, plus insurance with the carrier. I find it amusing that some people think that should be free.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Thanks
    I dont expect free postage from archery shops due to their small size and limited customer base. Hard for them to absorb postage into their profits and it would be rather obvious if the online price was greater than the shop price.

I find insured postage a little cheeky though. However, as long as they are clear from the start that orders over value X are 'signed for' only and orders over value Y are insured etc, its not a major gripe.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    The number one rule in business is

The customer always pays for everything

'Free postage' is a lie, all it means is that the costs involved have already been factored into the price.

- but for the consumer it does hit a valuable comfort point - 'What you see is what you pay' - which makes it far easier to run comparisons etc.

When the situation arises that P&P costs more than the actual order, perhaps we have a right, as consumers, to raise an eyebrow & ask 'can this be done better?' I mean, I'm sure none of us begrudge the shops getting a fair return on the great service they do for us, but is the same true about throwing unnecessary cash into the pockets of couriers?
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Yep, no such thing as free. I know Ebay (for example) puts a certain amount of pressure on sellers to offer "Free" p&p but it's got to be charged somewhere otherwise you won't be in business long.

I do like to have options, for example if I've ordered a few bits and bobs that will fit in a small padded envelope I don't expect to have to pay for a full courier service or Special Delivery - when a basic large letter or small parcel service will do. I do accept with more costly items insured/tracked post is important though. One vendor I'm quite happy to say I like what they do is Alternative, who offer free UPS delivery on orders over 50.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Interesting thread. A few thoughts from me for what it's worth. I fit, service and repair boilers. My main supplier is huge. Huge. I'd guess the branch turns over more individual items in a week than all the archery suppliers in the UK combined in a year. Their operation is massive. Their overheads are massive. Their wage bill is massive. The service is the same as my go to archery supplier. So I'd say as archers we're pretty lucky to be served so well!

Secondly, after nearly 30 years of running classic cars, I've learnt to keep stock of parts that'll ruin your Sunday tinkering time, you know the kind of thing, buttoning a hub back up after repacking the bearings and realising the seal looks a bit ropey or the (single use) lock washer has had one too many uses 😋... So I always add consumables to a bigger order; last order was for a high torque starter, hub seals, felt seals, hub gaskets, etc. So instead of buying 12 nocks, buy 20, two bags of vanes instead of one, an extra stick of hot melt. Keep plenty of string material on your shelf and make three at a time. I suspect that if we're honest with ourselves, moaning about lead times and postage on small items from suppliers is a bit rich, when a little bit more foresight and organisation on our part would have been better in the first place. We run out of nocks then moan that a supplier can't get one to us by next day and then moan that there will be an actual cost. How outrageous!

Communicate. No point moaning after a couple of days that your order hasn't come. Phone them up first! Use this pro forma; "morning, I'd like to check price and availability please as I'm in a rush and need them for Saturday" How hard is that? At least you'll know whether or not you need to try somewhere else. Also, ask folk at your club! You need three red small g nocks for Sunday? You're more likely to find three brand new ones amongst your club mates in the next couple of hours than find them in tomorrow's post!

And finally, regards expensive kit and beginners, whilst I agree with most of what was said earlier (and indeed, I've been shooting MB scores for a couple of weeks now with a large UK supplier's, own-branded (and therefore unfashionable amongst some kitsnobs) limbs), if there's one thing I'd recommend, it'd be to buy a good sight early on. I think between me and my lad we've had six or seven but since we bought the shibuyas we've not suffered from things disintegrating like clown cars...

So, get yourself organised, recognise that archery suppliers aren't as big as you might think they are or would like them to be, stop wanting the moon on a stick, go old-school and actually speak to people and buy a good sight.

Wear sunscreen.

PS thanks, archery suppliers of the UK, your work and advice is appreciated!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rog600 For This Useful Post:

Timid Toad (13-08-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rog600 View Post
    Secondly, after nearly 30 years of running classic cars, I've learnt to keep stock of parts that'll ruin your Sunday tinkering time, you know the kind of thing, buttoning a hub back up after repacking the bearings and realising the seal looks a bit ropey or the (single use) lock washer has had one too many uses ... So I always add consumables to a bigger order; last order was for a high torque starter, hub seals, felt seals, hub gaskets, etc. So instead of buying 12 nocks, buy 20, two bags of vanes instead of one, an extra stick of hot melt. Keep plenty of string material on your shelf and make three at a time. I suspect that if we're honest with ourselves, moaning about lead times and postage on small items from suppliers is a bit rich, when a little bit more foresight and organisation on our part would have been better in the first place. We run out of nocks then moan that a supplier can't get one to us by next day and then moan that there will be an actual cost. How outrageous!
    I agree. Whenever I order something from an online shop I always order as many small bits and bobs like nocks as I can think of at the same time. It turns the P&P from seemingly outrageous for a small item to basically free.

Quote Originally Posted by Rog600 View Post
    Wear sunscreen.
    Wear waterproofs. And midge repellent.
    Where are my dancing penguins? I was promised penguins ............

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast