Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barebow back tension vs Recurve back tension

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 931 Posts
    Hi KidCurry,
    I should be more careful, too. What I should have said is, I have never understood what archers mean when they talk about transferring to back tension. I wasn't meaning you personally.
    In my case, I never feel any transfer. The draw is from my shoulder and back muscles, from start to finish.
    I remember talking to a member of the Scottish national team, when I was new to shooting. I asked about shooting off your arms and what that meant. He replied very simply. " If your elbow is sticking out you are shooting off your arms." From that I gather that when your elbow is in line, you are using back muscles, and no need for arm muscles.
    So, I guess you feel a little use of the arms, maybe early in the drawl then at the end check it is all back and shoulders, NO arms??

Thanks
    So... the book 'The Art of String Walking' arrived on my doorstep two days ago. Excellent book. Covers everything someone just starting out needs to know to get them to an advanced shooting level, with one caveat... it does not cover the draw/anchor. Considering this part of the shot process is critical to accuracy of barebow it is a major omission
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That seems odd to miss out of any archery book.
    In a way the draw and anchor is the equivalent of a long jumper's run up. Or pole vaulter, high jumper, triple jumper, javelin thrower.
    It puts the athlete in a position to give their "finishing" the best chance of success.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Having regularly shot with you on the same boss on the Friday sessions indoors over last the winter, I can honestly say that GMB should be no problem for you. I mainly used my longbow, but because of your example I switched to barebow. I remember seeing you shoot superbly with the compound as well. When I took the sights off of my recurve, where I used to use a clicker, and started shooting barebow I shot it like I do my compound, rather than expanding through a notional clicker, I hold it against a notional wall, as with the compound. Seems to work for me so far, though I'm no where near your standard, (yet).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geophys View Post
    Having regularly shot with you on the same boss on the Friday sessions indoors ....
    Hi Geophys
    Ahh... that's kind of you to say. When you said 'on the same target' the penny dropped, but I should have guessed by your avatar name Really looking forward to indoors this season, it was great fun shooting with you last season. See you in a couple of months.

I sent an email to the author of the book I have read, he included his email but I didn't expect a reply, and he emailed me back He will expand on his comments in a week or so but he said, and I quote, "In my oppinion BB shooting Is more like compound shooting". To be honest this is the conclusion I'm coming to as well.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Interesting, for several reasons. Geophys mentioned compound, too. I wonder if it is the idea of a wall to pull against.I understand the idea of pulling to a position that seems more solid than the position a recurve archer reaches before getting sorted for the clicker to go. They have to pull further than that initial contact with the face. But by the time the clicker goes they will be very close to the one Geophys describes.
    I think it was the idea of " coming to a dead stop" that made me wonder a bit. I got the impression that it would mean making a deliberate release with no follow through as the draw had come to an end.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast