1st practice kit

drew.h

I've just started a course at a local club and would like to buy my first bow. Now I probably won't buy until after the next lesson, but just wanted any advice on 'cheap' bows. The shop I'm most likely to buy from does two cheap options AW Deluxe Take Down Bow wood handle ?59.80 and Adult Rolan Bow ?67.50. As a first practice bow would I notice any difference between the two? If I stretched to say ?99 would I get something significantly better?

I'm 6ft3in, quiet strong and using a bow labelled as 68" 28lb at the club. I found it easy to use. Would I notice much difference between a 28lb and a 36lb?

Foobs

Firstly, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of archery :)

Don't buy anything until after you've done your beginners course. Firstly, you don't know what you can handle safely. Although 28lbs is a good to heavy weight for a beginner and you are "quite strong", you will take some time to build up the muscles required for shooting as they are not regularly used. Secondly, your form (how you shoot the bow) will change over time and with that your equipment requirements will alter. If you go straight out and buy something now you'll probably end up wasting a lot of money on equipment that you either don't need, or will outgrow in a short space of time.

Speak with the club that you are doing the course with, as they will have a good idea of when to start looking for your own equipment and will be able to give you good advice on what to buy.

Spend some time talking to people on here, reading up on techniques and learn as much as you can.

Most on here were in your situation at the beggining and it's hard to resist pulling your money out, but you will benefit more from saving it until you know what you really want.

archer_dk

Finish your course and go to the club a few more time. AM sure they wont mind that you that you use the club equipment a few more weeks.

Once you develop some strength you can establish your draw weight and a consistent draw length.

And get to know the established club members because they could be your best assets to get the most adequate equipment.

If you are on a budget, you could also consider second hand because there are some great bargain on auction sites :D
Performance wise, the second hand might be even better than the cheapish new ones.

Trunkles

The American
American Shoot
If you are on a budget, you could also consider second hand because there are some great bargain on auction sites :D
Performance wise, the second hand might be even better than the cheapish new ones.
Never buy from auction sites unless you know exactly what you are doing. Very easy to buy a) the wrong thing or b) rubbish.

As suggested you should talk to your club coaches - the first thing we say on our course is DO NOT BUY ANYTHING YET.

born_2b_mad

I agree, finish your course first, as you will undoubtedly increase your poundage while doing this ( I jumped from 26lb to 32lb after week 2).
Once my course finished I went to my local Quicks, and got set up with a Cartel Fantom, lovely bow for the price (?155). It was recommended not to go for the trainer bows, as there is a big difference in the feel (I am now at 36lb).
I currently have no button, or stabilisers/weights, as I was told to just get used to the feel of the new bow first, after 3 weeks of using it I am now in the position to get the additions to the bow.
Then probably 6-8 months down the line I will be looking at a full upgrade of my equipment, as I will undoubtedly outgrow the Fantom.

drew.h

Thanks for the replies. I have my own land and was quiet keen on getting some kit, even if I just get a cheap practice bow. Once I've decided how far I want to go in the sport then spend some cash. I believe next week they are letting us try a wider range of bows, hence wanting to wait until next week at least. I don't mind spending ?60 for a bow even if I only use it for the next few weeks. The course is oversubscribed and we are not getting much practice in the 2 hours.

nig295

I have just finished my beginners course and had decided that I wanted to go down the recurve/target route so I splashed out on the Hoyt Horizen, I know the limbs will need upgrading over a fairly short space of time but the riser will be with me for years.

If you haven't decided which format you want to concentrate on then buy cheap to start with, if you know your mind jump in at the second level.

Just my thoughts, don't really have the skill or experience to give advice.

Nige

ricer

Seriously, save your 60 notes and put it towards a decent intermediate riser after you have finished the course. If you start practicing at home with a rubbish piece of kit you will develop bad habits that will then have to be trained out in order for you to shoot well long term.

The whole point of a beginners course is to lay down a bedrock of reasonable draw form upon which your style can be built, "practising" at home without a coach to correct your form may well scratch the itch you have to shoot but you will end up using the time you have with a coach unlearning all the stuff you have picked up on your own.

Mine's-A Pint

DO follow all the above advice. I know beginners think they need to 'practice' but they don't. You need to learn first then when the beginners course is completed you can start practicing what you've learned alongside club members who can keep an eye on you and make sure you continue to do things properly without developing bad habits that are very difficult to get out of.
Save your money now towards a better set of kit later.