Other 27 inch risers, W&W Inno CXT vs Gillo G1 lux

Swilxert

I'm looking at upgrading to a 27 inch riser due to having a 33.5 inch drawlenght. I tried the Gillo at Perris's last week and wow, what an improvement. So I settled to save up for that one. Since then I've seen the Inno CXT come up for sale second hand. And heard a lot of good things about it. And it's on offer cheaper than the Gillo riser.

My question is, does anyone here have any experience with these risers, possibly both to offer advice/ compare the two?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
My only suggestion is to check that the riser you go for is straight. The longer the riser, the harder it is to machine straight, and this can be an issue when setting up - no matter how good your limbs, a twisted riser is tricky to deal with.

Corax67

I love my Inno CXT (25”) - it has a huge range of tweakability, weight is easily added/removed, great hand grip which several fellow archers have all commented on.

Mine is straight as a die after 3 years of use & abuse, I’ve used multiple manufacturers limbs without issue whereas other members have had compatibility problems with other makes of riser/limb combinations.

Currently playing with Hoyt G3’s #42 as a fun step up from my own W&W #36 - dropped in with no need to touch tiller or alignment bolts and shot like they had always been on there.

All thread holes were clean and true and remain so after shooting in sun, rain, snow, frost and anything else mother nature has thrown at us. Clicker extender supplied as standard is a neat touch and works well with a Beiter blade allowing for a great range of adjustment.

I have never seen the Gillo riser so cannot give a comparison but I have used many other different risers (Hoyt, Spigarelli, Mybo, Border) and find none of them come close to the comfort and shootability of my W&W. Although I am primarily a longbow archer I will never part with my Inno CXT, despite having had many offers for it last year and this year, as I know I won’t find anything to match it in the future.

Karl

JohnK

I've shot two 27in risers - the Bernardini Luxor (the original 27in riser) and the Border Tempest. Both are great risers, but I personally prefer the feel of the Tempest.

I understand the Gillo G1 25in model is very similar to the Best Zenit (once also marketed as the Border Talisman), and I loved my Zenit. Sadly it's twisted now, so I've retired it, but that's another story. I imagine the Gillo 27in probably feels similar.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If you are talking to Perris, my choice would be the new 27" version of the Uukha riser, my personal fav of any riser I have handled or shot....

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I have to agree with Karl. I bought a CXT 25 inch riser second hand and absolutely love it. If you prefer a thicker grip then usual it is perfect. That's the main reason I bought it as I can't get away with the narrow grips on most risers.

It's Win & Win and it's quality shows.

Swilxert

If you are talking to Perris, my choice would be the new 27" version of the Uukha riser, my personal fav of any riser I have handled or shot....
I did look at the Uukha riser, but unfortunately it's out of my price range at the moment. Maybe in the future when my scores can justify it!

The Gillo G1 and Inno CXT are quite a bit cheaper, but very good risers (so I've heard [emoji846]). I'm hoping to pair it up with KG NX55 XL limbs to make a 74 inch bow, when I get up to my normal draw weight again.

Swilxert

I have to agree with Karl. I bought a CXT 25 inch riser second hand and absolutely love it. If you prefer a thicker grip then usual it is perfect. That's the main reason I bought it as I can't get away with the narrow grips on most risers.

It's Win & Win and it's quality shows.
That's useful to know, I have large hands so the thicker grip will be more comfortable

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
That's useful to know, I have large hands so the thicker grip will be more comfortable

Try one in your nearest archery shop. I have big hands and the CXT grip is perfect for me. The same grip can be put straight onto a AXT. They are available at certain shops for around ?17 on their own.

Rog600

I have 27" G1L and nano max 27" risers and KG nx55 limbs.

They're very different risers in terms of feel and I can't make up my mind which I prefer. In fact it's difficult to describe how they feel different; I'd guess better, more experienced archers than me would call it feedback. There's about 200g weight saving in the w&w which is 200g you could put elsewhere. But there's something very solid, secure maybe, about the Gillo. Maybe a bit like a manual steering box Vs power steering? You can feel what your old car's mechanicals are doing whereas a new car's PAS is very 'black box'. But, again, this is very subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

I'm not mad keen on either stock grip: seems a little low for me and end up heeling them. I've built up the Gillo grip which helps. Personal, though, I realise. And I think there are plenty of options anyway.

Can't hit the proverbial barn door at the moment but the G1-KG combo took me to a couple of 1100+ York scores last year in practice.

Interesting what you say about 74" bow with KG XL limbs; when I went to KG, Keith suggested that the 27" riser concept is flawed and that I'd be better off with a 25" riser and some of his XL limbs. When a bowyer of 50odd years says something like that, you take note! If I had the time and the cash, I'd love to try two 72" bows with the different combinations. There's a bit of reading to be done about bow length, geometry, speed etc. and I reckon Del (the cat) is probably your best man on here for a explanation. The KG limbs are excellent and were chronographed at the same speed as a pair of 2# heavier Samick Masters Max (the older Max which I understand was manufactured pre MK days???) and lots smoother to draw. (Again, subjective.)

The 72" bow seems a lot more stable to me at over 32" draw but I was getting some great coaching at the time I changed from 70" so I realise it might have been form-related or a combination of both. So maybe at 33"+ draw 74" might be a golden bullet but I'm sure I've read somewhere that they get a bit slushy and slow (can anyone help with a reference here?) which if you're shooting a skipole, isn't going to help you out to 100yds.

You're welcome try mine if you're northernish and you'll need your own arrows 😋.