34” arrows?

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
A guy I shoot with is getting sooooo frustrated trying to find carbon/ali (recurve, 36# OTF) arrows 34” long (he’s very tall!). He’s currently using PlatinumPlus aluminums 2315 with 180grn points. ACEs seem to be very difficult to get at 34”?

Stretch

Stock length of an X10 450 is 33.5”. Add a long standard SS point and a Beiter Out Nock And you’re well over 34”. Might be borderline for a 410 which is another 1/4” longer.

Unfortunately AFAIK it is only the x10 that ships that long.

But yes. X10 are expensive.

Stretch

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks guys. Your responses are more helpful than you might imagine.... for a start they confirm that his frustration is not due to lack of trying!

4d4m

Is he fairly new to archery? I've gone through similar tribulations, 6'3" but long armed for my height! I went up to over 33" draw at one point but I was overdrawing slightly. I'm now at around 32.5" for oly recurve due to having settled. Also I do a fair but of shooting more trad style bows and with the lower grip of those I can get away with 32" shafts, which is helpful. The web of the thumb which takes most of the draw force is a little further back with a low grip; the wrist is flexed up more. May be worth trying a compound style grip if possible rather than the more shaped pistol style grip of most recurves. I had to jump straight from platinum plus to A/C/E 32.5", those with the long 120gn points gave me enough length. Now I'm intending to cut 1/2" to 3/4" off them.

Also check his anchor point. He may be able to move it forwards to reduce the length a little. Or turning the head a little more "square" to the target and anchoring the string in the centre of the chin may help. This will of course change other things like string picture and will take some adjusting to, and it doesn't seem ideal to change his form to available equipment but you do what you have to do.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks 4d4m. I've passed your message on. He's responded saying "I found an Avalon 33" carbon arrow, 350 spine (I'm 342 atm, there might even be a weaker spine), and heavy points - they're not perfect but they're cheap and at least 3.2gpi lighter. Certainly a good intermediate choice before I bite down and get X10"

Stretch

350 spine seems very stiff for the given parameters. But I grant you the various manufacturers use spine ratings I n different ways.

If it’s the TechOne then it looks like they say 500 or 400 at this spec and they are 32” base shaft length. So needs some careful thought as most likely super heavy points won’t be an option. Assuming shooting outdoors is the goal.

Not that it matters, unless shooting at a club that does not allow all carbon, but these are not A/C per the original request.

Stretch

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
Alternativess appear to have Cartel Triple NEOs which are A/Cs
300s are 34" & 400s are 33.5"

BUT beware, Cartel use a non standard spine measurement "the spine is determined as the weight required to deflect the shaft by 20mm with the shaft supported at points 500mm apart ",
So you might need to spend a bit of time with google to find spine equivalences with Easton shafts

JohnK

Well, if he's considering all-carbon arrows, W&W Atrax arrows have a stock length of 33in, before you add a point and nock.

modernlongbow

I'm with 4d4m. Move the anchor point. He may be very tall, but he's not shooting a warbow at 45 degrees elevation, so he need not anchor by his ear.