6 or 3 arrows?

Thorvald

Normally yes, outdoors 6 and indoors 3. But for your own archery practice, it's up to you. Normally I have been shooting only 3 outdoors, because I am not strong enough to shoot 6 (I get too tired). But if you want to attend competitions, you should practice with 6 arrows to get used to it.

dave lpb

It depends on how up to date your club is or if they like sticking to old traditions as it did used to be for outdoors you shot three arrows then the second detail got to shoot their three arrows then you shot your second lot of three then they shot their second lot of three then you went and collected your arrows. But for several years now the norm has been to shoot 6 arrows at a time then the second detail shoots their 6, then the next end you switch who shoots first.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Normally yes, outdoors 6 and indoors 3. But for your own archery practice, it's up to you. Normally I have been shooting only 3 outdoors, because I am not strong enough to shoot 6 (I get too tired). But if you want to attend competitions, you should practice with 6 arrows to get used to it.
If one intends to shoot comps I would advocate 8, 10 or even 12 arrows if time permits. Eight is good practice as at comps if you have to come down a couple of times you will be tired before your last arrow. I will often shoot 12 as we often shoot two details. Other than that I will keep shooting until the last person leaves the shooting line.

tzadmin

Supporter
Supporter
On your Club Target days (or any other days actually) - do you shoot 6 arrows each end or 3 & 3?
A ‘club target day’ in the AGB rule book is a competition round counting for handicap and classification, so you ‘should’ shoot the number of arrows per end required by the round. Under AGB rules, that’s six outdoors in two sets of three, three for the shortest WA distances, and three indoors except for a Worcester.
Practice days you can do what you like, though as many clubs mix practice for some with a variety of self-selected scoring rounds for others, and targets pretty much have to collect all together, you’ll likely end up shooting the same ends as the folk scoring rounds.

dave lpb

A ‘club target day’ in the AGB rule book is a competition round counting for handicap and classification, so you ‘should’ shoot the number of arrows per end required by the round. Under AGB rules, that’s six outdoors in two sets of three, three for the shortest WA distances, and three indoors except for a Worcester.
Practice days you can do what you like, though as many clubs mix practice for some with a variety of self-selected scoring rounds for others, and targets pretty much have to collect all together, you’ll likely end up shooting the same ends as the folk scoring rounds.
Hasn’t been two sets of three for outdoors for years, to quote (well copy & paste) AGB rules of shooting rule 304 (e):
Composition of Ends
(i) For all Imperial rounds, the Long Metric rounds and the two longest distances of the Metric I-V rounds, six arrows shall be shot at an end.
(ii) For other Metric rounds either three or six arrows may be shot at an end.

tzadmin

Supporter
Supporter
Hasn’t been two sets of three for outdoors for years,
It's always been six arrows per end for Imperial Outdoor, irrespective of distance.
But see current AGB rules para 304 f) i):
"Method 1.
a. One sound signal shall indicate when the first shooting detail shall take their place on
the line and begin shooting. Each archer shall shoot three arrows and immediately
retire, ...." and "... "When all on a target have shot, the archer, if required, shall shoot three more arrows."
That comes with 2.5 mins for three arrows.
Whether you use it may depend on which part of the UK you're in and what kind of club you're at, but 'round here it seems to be the more common practice for Imperial rounds when not using lights and a countdown timer.

The alternative is Method 2, which applies with audible and light signals. That can be either three or six consecutively; 2.5 or 4 mins for Imperial rounds.

dave lpb

It's always been six arrows per end for Imperial Outdoor, irrespective of distance.
But see current AGB rules para 304 f) i):
"Method 1.
a. One sound signal shall indicate when the first shooting detail shall take their place on
the line and begin shooting. Each archer shall shoot three arrows and immediately
retire, ...." and "... "When all on a target have shot, the archer, if required, shall shoot three more arrows."
That comes with 2.5 mins for three arrows.
Whether you use it may depend on which part of the UK you're in and what kind of club you're at, but 'round here it seems to be the more common practice for Imperial rounds when not using lights and a countdown timer.

The alternative is Method 2, which applies with audible and light signals. That can be either three or six consecutively; 2.5 or 4 mins for Imperial rounds.
I know Imperial has always been 6 arrows an end irrespective of distance, by two sets of three I meant 1st detail shoot 3 then 2nd detail then 1st detail shoot their last 3 then 2nd detail does then they collect.
As for the timings the old 3 & 3 still exist yes but unless it’s an “old school” tournament (usually the ones that have been going for 100s of years or that tend to be such and such meeting) it’s rarely seen these days, most do it shoot 6 a detail then alternate which details starts the end.
Although as you say it could be more common in different parts of the country as I’ve only ever been to competition across the South West, South & South East of the country and can only think of one that used 3&3 the last time I shot it.