8125 Seems Thick!

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
I just purchased, from an archery site, a spool of what is supposed to be 8125. It is white and non-waxed. I thought the strands looked a bit thicker than shop purchased 8125 - which is waxed. It reminded me of fastflight. An 18 strand string is like a piece of rope. Have I been done?

Thank you

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
From a private seller on an archery site? What does it say on the spool?

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
I felt 8125 was thick but I had to move to it from 8190 after I couldnt seem to get 8190 anymore. did feel very chunky and had to cut strands down drastically. think I dropped to 16 on my last string.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks for the replies. There was no wrapping label But there was the usual '8125' sticker on the underside of the spool. I looked to see if it had been tampered with but it looks the original. Even 16 strands is thicker in diameter than my 'shop purchased' 8125. On the plus side. If it is 'genuine' and I have to reduce the number of strands to get a good nock fit. I will use less material and get more strings from the spool! Is the 'waxed' version thinner to the wax making the fibres cling to each other more tightly?

Stretch

If your string is coming out noticeably thicker then it seems unlikely it is 8125 unless (maybe) it is a colour like silver which can have a ton of wax on it. (When you run your nail down it does it clog with coloured wax?). I have tried a bunch of 8125 and 8125G colours and never had one come up noticeably thick.

Would seem likely that someone has tampered with the reel. If it doesn’t stretch for ever it is something like DY02. If it stretches forever it is Dacron. If it feels harsh could be something like 450. You won’t get more strings off the roll as they are generally done by weight so a fatter strand will have a shorter total length on the spool.

Dacron tends to be quite a round thread. Most Dyneema threads are a bit flat (not sure if all).

If it feels totally different to shoot from your shop bought string at the same(ish) diameter then it is Dacron.

Apologies if I am being overly negative... I just can’t see it, especially if the plastic and label were removed from the reel.

2p

Stretch

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks for the reply. I am beginning to think it is not 8125. I made an 18 strand string using the 'genuine' 8125 and got a 'G' nock large groove to get a 'nice' fit. I had made an 18 strand string from the 'suspect' reel. I had to cut out 6 strands to get the same nock fit. I suspect it is Dacron when I compare it to some D50 I also have. I guess I will just use it in the garden next year! Thanks for your replies. It is white and wax free.

Stretch

12 strands matching 18 strand does sound like Dacron but there are similar sized dyneema and Vectran blends over the years. However, white can be a difficult colour for many of those so Dacron seems the most likely.

Stretch

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
Out of curiosity I did a 'stretch test' on this string material. I put 6 strand string 44 1/2" on my stretching jig. I tried to stretch it. I managed about 1" with a lot of force on my screw thread device. After 48hrs I took the tension off and measured the string = 44 1/2". I did the same with some Dacron 55 and it stretched about 2 1/2". After 12 hrs when I released the tension it had stretched 1" form the original. So it's not a Dacron material. Has the diameter of 8125 changed over time by the manufacturers?

Stretch

8125 has not changed. However, there are plenty of other BCY Dyneema based string materials that it could be. Dynaflight97 was thicker as was DY02. They were about 14 strand being equivalent to 18 8125.

Maybe the factory sticker fell off and someone put the wrong one back on.

Based on my experience with DY97 and DY02 the garden shed is the right place for it :p But some people did like those fibres.

Stretch