A new fan

Scotsrick

AIUK Saviour
I've shot target for quite a few years either as an independent club or Archery GB.

This past year we migrated to STAFAA and were invited to a Monday night field archery shoot at a nearby club.

Well that was a baptism of fire considering none of the club had ever shot field never mind in the flipping dark.

It was a case of getting sight marks for the distances 15yd-40yd then we got taken out on the Sunday morning for a look round/practice shoot.

We were sent out in 4 groups of 4, mostly recurve, a few barebow and a couple of compounds.

Completely different from target and we all had a great time. Not sure I'd give up target but would do more field without hesitation.

As to the result, honestly we were expecting to get hammered by the regulars but we did okay. I came 1st equal in recurve which astonished me.

I wouldn't give up target but am certainly willing to give field a go again. night shoot.jpg

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
They do say a good day at field archery is when you go home with the same number of arrows you started with. Going home with any arrows left in the dark would be a major success.

Scotsrick

AIUK Saviour
I heard about this today, and must admit, its in my mind to go have a go :). I'm in Beecraigs by the way.
Ah right, we’ve had a bit of contact with your club. Some of us were at Torphichen a few weeks ago for a workshop.

We were only shooting 40 yards max which should minimise misses. I think only one arrow was lost.

As far as safety goes, we were released in 4 groups of 4 with a group not being released till the previous group were 2 full targets in front. There were also bells at certain targets used when we cleared that target. The targets were lit by rechargeable work lights and everyone had head torches.

Ive never shot field before but I assume the layout is such that crossover shouldn’t be possible?

The only specific to the shoot was that nobody was to hold up the group by searching for lost arrows apart from a cursory look while scoring.

If the opportunity comes up give it a go.

I do intend to give it a go. Stevan our club coach was raving about it yesterday :).
Field courses are constructed so that there are no cross overs so safety is prime. You should pop over to the course you'll get a good welcome.

Scotsrick

AIUK Saviour
Annual night shoot once again was fun and fortunately we got a gap in the rain.

Only 4 recurve bows but I somehow managed to win again, more down to the others having an off night than my prowess but a wins a win.

One of the recurvers had bought light up knocks especially for this event with no idea how they’d perform. First arrow flew off his bow, curved towards the target and we could see it stuck in the face. Almost in unison the rest of us chorused ‘I’m getting some of those’ It came in useful later on when one ricocheted off the boss and took off like a firework through the trees. We’d never have found it if it hadn’t been lit up.

IMG_0198.jpeg