[OTHER] A Sad Yumi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysouth

Hi there

I was wondering if someone here might be able to help me. I have been looking for this information online and in books but I haven't had much luck.

I acquired this yumi through a secondhand sale and it came with 6 pairs of arrows. It doesn't have a string unfortunately but I know that it is a namisun bow as it is 221cm long.

What I would like some help with is it's shape. As you can see the bow is very flat looking, according to the book I have ( Kyudo - Hideharu Onuma) it should be quite a bit more curved in its unstrung state.

The bow appears to be made from a layer of wood on the outside with a thicker layer through the middle. I don't think this is a bamboo bow, the thin outer layers might be. It is lacquered on both sides.

So finally my questions! Is there a way to fix this by steaming or some method or by using the blocks I have seen in the book? Also how long is the string that is required for this bow. I know a hemp or Kevlar string is usually used but I was hoping a cheap dacron Flemish twist might get me started initially. Everything is advertised according to the bow length.

Hopefully someone out there might have some answers and might also recognise the makers mark?

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 7654

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!
A bow like that is of glued construction and you can't mess about with heat or steam unless you want a pile of thin bamboo laths.
If it's not bamboo and mulberry which I believe is the traditional construction, maybe it's a 'tourist piece' or a mass produced beginners/training bow)
Even if it was possible, without knowing the required curve you would be stumbling about in the dark.
If you really want to play with bows cut some Hazel Ash or Yew and have a go at making one.
I would even dream or touching it, and I do have years of experience behind me.
Regarding string. You could get one with a loop at just one end and use a bowyers knot at the other, so you could still order by bow length. If you can't order one that long, try to speak to someone who makes strings, or make your own. They can be twisted up by hand or you can make a simple jig for making continuous loop strings.
My guess is that it is a relatively low powered bow and thus doesn't need much reflex. Or some idiot has strung and drawn it the wrong way round....
YET AGAIN! Can people please put their location in their profile so it shows with their avatar!!!
If you are near Harlow Essex, you could bring it along, I'd love to see it, and I'd make you a string for a tenner while you wait! I could even give you an Ash stave to satisfy your cravings to bend stuff ;)
Del

jaysouth

Cheers thanks for that! I shoot target recurve so already have something to shoot with, traditional bows are a bit new to me! Hopefully the rumors is a Kyudo dojo in town are true and they might be able to help too.

Thanks for your reply :)

jaysouth

I didn't see the last part of your reply! I have a feeling the guy did string it the wrong way he didn't seem to have much of a clue. And I'm from New Zealand so just a little too far away for a stave. Thank you for the offer though!

Berny

Here's my Japart yumi:

don't look too different to your shape.

I've made a dacron/b50 string to go on it with the a bowyer's know at each end
with the knots orientated in opposite directions top & bottom (as with a normally hemp string)
& i think it makes difference as to how the bow shoots with fingers/thumb as to which way the knots are
orientated - suppose a bit like using side nocks on ELBs.

Have posted to Kyudo group on FB.

jaysouth

Hi Berny

Thanks for your reply! How long did you make your string? I will go down to the shop for some dacron tonight and made one up. Luckily we have an archery shop in town!

Berny

Hi Berny

Thanks for your reply! How long did you make your string? I will go down to the shop for some dacron tonight and made one up. Luckily we have an archery shop in town!
I think my yumi is the same length as yours (i measured it after i photographed it) ....but i do have 2 proper "tsuru" for it so it was easy enough to make it the
same as them. If you#'re going to tie bowyers knots both ends it's easy enough to make it the length of the bow & then shorten it as you try & brace it.
I'll measure the string in the morning though & let you know.

briantodd

if you are interested try searching Kay koppendrayer and Jap Koppendrayer in the USA on Facebook, Jap makes these sort of bows and is a legend and will help you.

Berny

My strings:

My yumi (87"/221cm) strings:
- spare hemp still in packet;
- in use hemp, 84" NTN, red loop is for top nock, white bottom nock - positioned this way, so string crosses over like with use of side-nocks on English longbows
- in use Dacron/B50, 82" NTN, loops with bowyers knots (once round the tree rather than twice);
Will have to check the discrepancy in string length .... likely to be the stretch in the Dacron.
Time to bring the yumi out to shoot again!

Status
Not open for further replies.