ACCIDENTS/injuries - related to bows/arrows in Great Britain

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Many moons ago I was shooting in a comp and it was a very wet day,so we were "double pulling " arrows.
I was on the "back" of the arrow.
The guy on the front pulled the shaft before I held the shaft.
The nock stabbed me in the hand,it was one of the old Beiter nocks that fit over the shaft.
It hurt like hell when I pulled it out,you should have seen the blood.
Beiter nocks are lethal... well, nearly...

2006 at the YAA single FITA a guy on the same target as me turned his head towards the target to score his arrows and got a nock in his temple about 1 cm from his eye... very lucky.

2009ish at Bronte, I went and stabbed 3 knuckles on Shirt's nocks.

Nocks should come with a warning!!!

Mick

simfar

Ive seen several compounders punch themselves in the face due to the release aid being triggered during the draw with the worst one being a lad who managed to split his upper lip completely through and had it glued together in A & E.

Also when I first took part in a clout as a novice archer I managed to get stabbed in the forearm twice because the bloke scoring on the rope next to me was over enthusiastic when pulling the arrows. Ive learnt to keep my distance from eejits like that.

GlynDaWolf

I remember when i first started archery there was a girl there who wouldnt listen to anyone and she ended up with the bowstring ripping the skin off her arm for about 8 to 12 inches down her arm, she came back about a month later she'd need stitches and all sorts but that's the only time i've seen anyone hurt other than the odd bruise here and there

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Tj had a painful encounter with a W&W armguard I seem to remember. The aluminium under the plastic coating split and embedded his forearm... nasty.

Mick

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I'm resurrecting this thread...

How's this for an archery injury...no names, no pack-drill, you'll understand why...

I heard this while in Torino, from the horse's mouth. I'll never complain about an archery ouchie again...If you are eating, skip by till later...

It's hot, so this guy is blank boss shooting his recurve in the house in the nude. He has twirlybowitis, so his wrist flops post-shot and the bow goes round and he's used to a limb catching him on the inside leg near the Gentlemen's Bits every so often.

On this particular occasion he's shot all his arrows, wandered down his hallway to collect them and notices he had a trickle of blood running down his thigh. He has a good look and can't see where it's coming from, so he goes to inspect his bow, and finds there a long narrow carbon splinter sticking out from the top limb. Eyeballing up he reckons there's quite a bit still missing, so the search is on to find it.

It's finally found, a 50mm long, 2mm wide section, Not on the floor, his foot, or in his leg, but has impaled his Gentleman's Sausage, entering a surface blood vessel and just exiting about 25mm away. This is where all the blood is from.

I'll just let that sink in a moment. Forgive the pun.

Now, how this guy hasn't fainted away or thrown up by this point I have no idea...the adrenaline must have been cruising, because he realises this might be tricky to explain to a paramedic, so decides to remove it himself. He claims he couldn't feel it! Two deep breaths and a steady hand and out it comes, seemingly in one piece.

Now, whether or not full function has returned to said organ, I have no idea, (not asking *that* question) and being related the tale (by the person involved) I was in turns needing to pick my jaw off the ground, a stiff drink, and a sick bag. But I'll never complain about nipping my elbow with my string ever again.

And the moral of this story?
Check your kit before shooting in the nude. Or break your twirly bow habit!

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
And, incidentally, He sanded down the bit on his top bow limb and stuck some superglue and varnish on it and was still shooting the bow. How's that for sang froid?

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
... and I thought me jamming the nock end of my arrow into my leg when getting it out of the woodwork but shooting on with a small puddle of blood pooling at my feet was nails (and stoopid!).

(later had to use a huge coagulant band aid to get the bleeding stopped. didnt need stitches when I got to hospital 20 hours after the fact but did need a tetanus shot)