ACE Centre Shot

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Rik has commented in another thread that the set up of centre shot using either ACE & X10 could be different from the usual suggested method. It has been recomended that you use the tip of the arrow and not the inside of the shaft.

Thus to all ACE/X10 users can I ask how you have setup your centre shot.

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes thats the way I understood it, but below is a part of the post from Rik

I recall an article in Archery Focus, from Don Rabska.

He reckoned that centreshot was much more critical on skinny arrows. He recommended setting up ACEs and X10s, so that the tip of the point lay at the outside edge of the string (and not the edge of the shaft, as is quite often illustrated).

Hence my question.

joetapley

Usually (recurve) recommended centre shot for barrelled arrows is the tip of the point 1-2mm outside the string (from the archer's viewpoint). Some archers have recommended point directly in line with string. Either way offset is small, much less than the arrow diameter. With my ACCs offset is also around 2mm.

As long as not too big centreshot does not have to be exact as it's usually set as a fixed quantity with button spring and poundage being the tuning variables. Only time you start playing about with centre shot is as part of a group tuning process.

In my case playing around with centershot produced no discernable affect on groups, but then I'm only a bowman level archer.

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Joe

That sort of echoes what Rik posted. I spent some time yesterday re-setting up centre shot and rest position using the arrow the tip as suggested. However bye the time I had finished I could not try it, maybe today.

Phil

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Don't forget you'll need to alter your button tension, if you've changed your centreshot. As a rule of thumb, start with one turn on the tension for each turn on the centreshot. So as the centreshot reduces, button stiffness has to increase (assuming you're starting from a good setup).

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Guys

Were do you get this information from ? I have not read anything about this in any book or article I have.

But I have to say your both spot on as I managed to shoot a few dozen arrows with the new setup and there is a marked improvement.

Rik, I was not aware that a change in button tension was required so thanks for the heads up. I will have a play with that later in the week.

This forum continues to expand my understanding of this great sport.

Thanks again guys

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Big Boy Blue said:
Guys
Were do you get this information from ? I have not read anything about this in any book or article I have.
20 years of reading and talking to people, on and off-line.... I think I read too much :sigh: (you should see my 'library' :jaw-dropp).

joetapley

reading and talking to people, on and off-line
Same here and add in practical experience/testing. The problem is that much (probably most) of what you hear/read, particularly on line is inaccurate or just plain daft. The key is to get the "discriminators" tuned. The out and out ******** merchants are reasonably easy to identify. At the other end of the spectrum the international level coaches with established reputations (The Rabska's, Frangilli's Li's etc.) aren't a problem. Between the two the "coach bloggses" you just have to be cautious and be the "man from Missouri" relying on the strength of the argument and supporting evidence. Never believe soundbites.

There's a great photo in the 'how to tune' section of the The Heretic Archer showing the (carbon) arrow alignment with respect to riser, string, longrod and sight. Unfortunately there's no legal way of putting it up :(

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
joetapley said:
The key is to get the "discriminators" tuned. The out and out ******** merchants are reasonably easy to identify. At the other end of the spectrum the international level coaches with established reputations (The Rabska's, Frangilli's Li's etc.) aren't a problem. Between the two the "coach bloggses" you just have to be cautious and be the "man from Missouri" relying on the strength of the argument and supporting evidence.
Absolutely. Over time, you get to know who normally talks sense. That doesn't mean you should take what they say at face value - everyone screws up, at least once in a while. Just because the source is unimpeachable, it doesn't mean the information is correct...

The usual pattern I follow, on encountering information from someone I don't know, is to research their background. In particular, going through their history of past posts, in any forums you can find, can give an idea of both their credibility and other people's opinion of them. But remember to question everything, including your own closely held opinions... except when you shoot. There's no place for doubt, there. :)

gearfiddler

gearfiddler

As you may gather from my call name, I have been known to interfere with the settings on my bow in the eternal quest for better scores and came to the conclusion that there's really no right and wrong way of anything,although nocking point height and centre shot settings are most relevant, you need to have your settings where you get your best groups.