Achievement or just stubborness...?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I was out teaching beginners last week, when it occurred to me that I first picked up a bow at Durham University, just after exams, in the summer of 1986...
30 years. Doesn't time fly.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Achievement or stubbornness?
If you worked hard all those years so that the coaches who helped you at the beginning didn't feel their time was wasted on you, then that's an achievement.
If you hated every minute of the shooting.... but didn't want to waste your beginners' course fees; that's stubbornness.
If you were self taught and didn't use coaches or take a beginners' course, that's contrary to most of the advice on here and qualifies as rash or sensible depending on your post code, apparently!

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Now, you see, I'm one of the people who advocates proper teaching, from the start. In spite (or maybe because) of not attending an organised beginners course.
Likewise, I would advise anyone taking it seriously to find a coach or experienced shooting partner. Though I've never had either of those on a regular basis...
Kind of a "we do these stupid things, so you don't have to" :)

dfrois

Supporter
Supporter
Now, you see, I'm one of the people who advocates proper teaching, from the start. In spite (or maybe because) of not attending an organised beginners course.
Likewise, I would advise anyone taking it seriously to find a coach or experienced shooting partner. Though I've never had either of those on a regular basis...
Kind of a "we do these stupid things, so you don't have to" :)
Recognizing this is an achievement in and of itself...I say "Well done"!

DF

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
now try and recount how many people you have taught/coached over that time. If any of them stayed with the sport went on to better things then we all owe you a thank you.