advice on nocking points

wingate_52

Thread? Dental floss (what flavour, waxed or unwaxed)?superglued masking tape, What and how please. I want to get rid of the Saunders clip on nocking points as they cut up my tab.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
<font size="2">I use serving string with a small amount of super glue to keep it in place. If you're going to use dental floss go with un-waxed (although I found it hard to get hold of - eventually tracked some down in an online fishing shop). Not sure why un-waxed, that's what I was advised to get when first starting. I found normal thread and dental floss falls apart and frays too easy that's why I went with serving string.</font>

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
I use common-or-graden cotton, stolen from my ol' Mum's sewing box. I start with a 10" length and "fold" it over the string at the desired point. Cross the ends behind the string, then in front and so on. Keep going until you have a nice little lump of thread. Tie it off - no need for any fancy knots - then dowse it in Super Glue. Make sure it soaks right through, then wipe off te excess.
When you get back from the Casualty department after having your forefinger surgically removed from your nostril, you should have a perfectly serviceable nocking point. ;)
And if your nocks are a bit loose on th serving, another length of thread wound between the nocking points and give the Super Glue treatment works fine.

wingate_52

Followed these instructions, using red poyester upholstery thread. Made a bit of a difference, sight marks up by 4 mm at 60 yards, so a slight increase in speed of string. A cost effective gain.

wingate_52

36 lb win&win challenger limbs, wound up to 38.5 lb on a winact 05 riser, shooting easton navigator 610's with 90 grain front ends. 4mm difference in sight marks at 60 yards may not seem like much, but it has made a difference to my shooting. Last evening shooting at 50m was so much better than previously, quieter, smoother and for the most part better grouping and more golds. What are the advantges of brass nocks apart from adjustability?

kinkychinky

Wingate, have you alway shot 36lb limbs?

If not, have you had to adjust the nocking points each time you upped the poundage?

Is it also worth adjusting the distance of the nocking points. I know it should be in the region of 1/8" above 90 degrees as mine has been set to. Will there be any benefits to increasing or decreasing this distance? I have read that some have gone to 3/16" with good results.

wingate_52

This is the first set of limbs I have bought. I am new to archery, although I used to shoot target crossbow 33 years ago. The limbs state 36 lb, I will buy 40/42lb limbs soon. I have been shooting these since Easter.I do not change the nocking points on the string, they are set in superglue on both strings. The lower nocking point is 4mm above the horizontal of the arrow rest (Spigarelli zero tolerance win&win fit,Shibua button). At present I can only shoot 20 to 80 yards on my Arc sx10 scope without moving the scope back (I have not done this yet). I will possibly buy a new string and button for winter indoor shooting with my X7's, outdoors I shoot Navigators, and do not wish to change a good button setup.