Advice sought from a rules guru

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If I were to have my Covert Hunter riser modified by having a stabiliser bushing and plunger insert installed for IFAA rounds would I then fall foul of the AGB rules ( I think its them - there are way to many rules, styles and general bollocks in archery) on modifying a 'trad' style bow by adding weight after construction even if nothing was fitted for their competitions?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I mean, the AGB rules for 'Recurve Traditional' start with "The Recurve Traditional is generally as described for Barebow in Rule 204 but with the following variations:" with those variations being wooden arrows, no pressure button, and a single anchor/string position. But as weights mounted to the lower part of the riser, and pressure buttons ("provided they do not offer any additional aid in aiming. The pressure point may be placed no further back than 2cm (inside) from the pivot point of the grip.") are both mentioned in the barebow description, presumably the holes/mounts for these items must also be allowed.

That doesn't mean there might not be a judge out there who'll question you on that, I've had a judge insist (actually came out on to the course mid-shoot) I removed something off my bow, which I saw being used by someone winning a medal at the WA field world champs a couple of months later...

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes, I've come up against that. My favourite phrase on these occasions has been "show me in the rules". It doesn't make me friends, as invariably I have been right, but these days they all have electronic copies so no excuses for not being able to check on the spot. But actually making mods to a very expensive and beautiful Covert, I'd want to be sure, too!

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
What AGB category do you want to shoot your CH in?
It will be ‘Instinctive’ Otherwise know as ‘Gap Shooting’....

Some clever person should make up a computer programme with drop down boxes so You could just click a bunch of drop down boxes to get the answer to “What flavour of archery and wott class can I shoot my bow in?”

English Bowman

Instinctive, isn't yet adopted by AGB, but is used in some tournaments as it is a WA category, and may be adopted by AGB in the future.
My understanding is that adding a weight would not be permitted in the current rules, but I don't think that there is anything in the rules to say that you can't have a bushing fitted for the weight.
The button isn't allowed for AGB Trad or for WA Instinctive, but I don't know of any rules preventing the bushing being fitted.
(AGB Traditional = any riser that fits through the barebow ring, weights attached to the riser directly and no sights with wooden arrows, no string walking or face walking
WA Instinctive = laminated riser containing wood or all wood, no weights unless they are fitted inside the riser when the bow is made, no button, with any arrows you want. No string walking or face walking
At least that's what I understand the rules to be, although I've heard that there may be some changes in the future)

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
At least that's what I understand the rules to be, although I've heard that there may be some changes in the future)
it’s a minefield..

WA- AGB, IFAA- NFAA, that other lot.... why can’t we all just play nicely with the same rules?