AGB Advice for returning to shooting 13/5/20

AJBrady

And its a pity people arent using it, but are adding to the AGB Refunds thread instead.

Can the Mods move those comments onto this thread please?

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Is nobody is going to praise AGB for the speed the documents have been produced and on the whole make sense when you have read all the documents, sprinkled with common sense. A chance for some to start to shoot again. if they feel it is safe to do so.
I think the documents/guidelines do need to be pretty tight as Covid-19 insurance cover is also included if you follow the guidelines. Proof of where you contracted it is a different matter :)

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Is that true? Where was that? I didn't spot that 🤔
It's in the FAQs
AGB said:
Does Archery GB’s insurance protect the club against claims if someone contracts Coronavirus whilst at the club?
Yes, the insurers would respond to defend the claim. As long as the club is following government guidance around social distancing and they can evidence that they have followed Archery GB’s guidelines. It is essential that clubs record and evidence that they are working to and controlling the social distancing measures expected by the government, clubs should complete a thorough risk assessment. The person making the claim would need to be able to prove they contracted the virus at the club, which would be very difficult to do.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I'm confused...

what does "shooting with one other person outside of your household"? This will restrict clubs to 2 people per session. I think this statement should be deleted as it doesn't make sense.
Remember that wider C19 guidelines means you are allowed to meet up with someone outside your household as long as social distancing is retained. With 12 foot spacing you'd be able to shoot with someone AND retain physical distance required. I think this is what is being referred to.

Fuzzy

So while maintaining Distancing, you you can coach 1-on-1, but the next section says you can coach multiple people from the same household as long as you don't do both on the same day.

Given the incubation period, if anyone is asymptomatically carrying in a family group or individually, this just gives you a bigger chance to turn into a vector or catch it yourself. It also breaks the wider "only meet with one other person" stipulation generally.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Given the incubation period, if anyone is asymptomatically carrying in a family group or individually, this just gives you a bigger chance to turn into a vector or catch it yourself. It also breaks the wider "only meet with one other person" stipulation generally.
No, because wider C19 rules allow you to meet up with different people on different days... so you can meet up with Person A on Monday, Person B on Tuesday, Person A again on Wed, Person C on Thur...

johnnybeta

Ironman
Been a (very) long-while since I posted on here - hi everyone. So... I'm looking at this for ourclub - does anyone have any suggestions for how to implement an online-booking system - what has worked for any of you ? what are you doing about this part of the guidance ? Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom ? I'm aware of some of the options (such as those listed by AGB) - but does anyone in the "know" have suggestions for which might be actually the most appropriate solution (?cheapest, while still actually working) for the situation where we have multiple lanes (maybe 8 or 10) available, multiple timeslots everyday, and an open-ended "finish" date...

(agree with earlier posts by the way- that the coaching guidance isn't entirely logical ! - we won;t be offereing any sort of coaching just yet...)

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
So by the end of a couple of weeks, it's spread to half the alphabet...
I wouldn't want to suggest that the government's advice is half-cocked (as I'm not sure how political we're allowed to be), but it is being led by someone who couldn't follow his own advice on social distancing... hence I'm not planning on going shooting down the club any time soon.

Reactions: Rik

Corax67

Our club is having a virtual meeting this evening to comply with guidelines and with luck we should be up and shooting tomorrow as there’s nothing within the guidelines we hadn’t already planned for before the enforced lockdown.

I‘m off to shoot later this morning at a local longbow only site which has reopened, not because I’m desperate to shoot but rather because I am dedicated to the archery cause & sacrificing my valuable time off carrying out research 😂

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
You may coach:  One person from outside your household at a time.  More than one person at a time so long as they are all from the same household.  Archers that are able to shoot safely on their own without intervention.  Only on a prearranged basis.  You can meet with different archers in a single day as long as it is only via one-toone sessions and you are maintaining social distancing.

Whitehart

So this R number reference has been bothering me. If below 1 then a carrier would infect 0.x of a person, when complete does the virus know that the contract has been fulfilled so the carrier doesn't infect the next person they meet? What happens if the carrier sees 10 people in a day, have they infected 1 x 0.x of a persons or 10 x 0.x persons?

Then what happens the next day.?

I would not want the virus to get confused as I am not being a scientist and all that.

Or is it the case that the virus is now so weak in the carrier that 1 person can only infect 0.x of a person and that is it, or per day per week?

Cereleste

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
So this R number reference has been bothering me. If below 1 then a carrier would infect 0.x of a person, when complete does the virus know that the contract has been fulfilled so the carrier doesn't infect the next person they meet? What happens if the carrier sees 10 people in a day, have they infected 1 x 0.x of a persons or 10 x 0.x persons?

Then what happens the next day.?

I would not want the virus to get confused as I am not being a scientist and all that.

Or is it the case that the virus is now so weak in the carrier that 1 person can only infect 0.x of a person and that is it, or per day per week?
On average, each carrier would infect 0.x people. In practice, maybe that's 9 carriers infect 0 people and one carrier infects 9. Or half of the people infect one person and the other half none. The virus doesn't keep a tally and is just as strong as before; it's based on how isolated the carrier is and how many people come into contact with their droplets. The number moves up and down depending on how people behave - social factors not biological ones.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
The virulence of a virus depends on many things. Technically the Rvalue of CoV SARS 2 which causes the disease Covid-19 (R0 or R zero) was about 2-3. This is the uncontrolled average infection rate in a population with not immunity. Initially put at between 2and3. ie each person will infect, on average, 2-3 other people during the infectious period of the disease within that first person. But as people are put into isolation and people develop an immunity this number will drop over time, Rt (t=time).
So if the CoV virus in one person only passes to one other person the R value over time becomes 1. This is only until people build a resistance (herd immunity) or a vaccine is produced or everyone stays in lockdown. If however everyone stays in lockdown the virus has far less opportunity to spread and if 5 people only pass it on to 4, the Rvalue will be 0.8. Eventually nearly everyone will either be immune (herd) or be vaccinated (apart from the anti vaccine brigade) so the virus will only circulate in the non-vaccinated group. R<0.1
Measles R0 is about 15 compared to CoV SARs 2 at about 2-3. But Measles could be wiped out if 100% of people were vaccinated and given no hosts. If we get a good vaccine for this virus it can be wiped out if everyone is vaccinated. The anti vaccine brigade are a big problem in fighting viruses as they always provide a small pool.
That's about as far as my understanding goes.

ahhh. Cereleste beat me to it :)

Last edited:

ben tarrow

My club had our virtual meeting tonight. Good to see so many of the old crowd still alive and keen to get back to shooting.
We are lucky to have 24/7 access to the field we use although up to now we've always maintained specific shooting times to keep that club feeling. Tonights meeting we decided to open up the calendar to allow anyone to shoot at any time as long as there are 2 archers present, so our booking system (to be decided) will be there to coordinate individual archers to ensure there will be at least 2 archers on the range whenever someone is shooting, whilst ensuring that we dont get more people turn up than we have space for (6 bosses, 6 archers or families)
Although our field is 24/7 we cannot leave bosses out, so thats presented our first problem. How to fulfill our previous H&S requirement that 2 people are required to put a boss up whilst maintaining social distancing of 2m. To allow archers to shoot whenever, means AGB's idea of nominating 2 people to set up the range and take it down. We can do facemasks and hand sanitiser and all that kind of stuff.
So, some logistical hurdles to overcome, but nothing insurmountable.

Corax67

Had a great virtual meeting - good to see fellow archers even if it’s on a screen.

Disinfectant sprays, heavy duty gloves, sanitiser gel & wipes, etc being sourced from various workplace stocks - we know they will be effective as our respective sites have all remained Covid free to date. We have 2 volunteers for field setup and take down each week.

With the new spacing we have room for 16 bosses - 9 @ 50yds+ and 7 @ 20-40yds

After minor tweaks our SSoW document will be sent to all members via email with an instruction to reply with confirmation of acceptance so we comply with AGB guidelines.

We‘ve decided to issue target faces and pins to each member free of charge from our ample stocks and a couple of us will pop to the field (independently) during this week to carry out the ground maintenance with our own tools.

All in all we are good for next Saturday, weather dependant.

Karl

Corax67

How are other clubs dealing with the instruction by AGB that targets should not be moved during a session?

We've decided to set a few targets at each of 60, 40 & 20yds so our members can choose a distance but will need to stick to that distance for the entirety of their session.

Karl