AGB Skill levels

A16KSB

Hi All,
Is there or do you think there should be a way to represent the skill levels of archers within AGB?
We would have a title for someone who has just completed their beginners' course, (e.g. cub) at one extreme and something else, Master Bowman for example at the other end, with others in between.
If so what is/would be the criteria, how do we measure/set these levels?
I look forward to any suggestions and or pointers

A16KSB

you mean something like Unclassified, 3rd Class, 2nd Class, 1st Class, Bowman, Master Bowman, Grandmaster Bowman...??
Well yes I suppose, I don’t really do target, so not used to them. I guess they are based on scores, probably should look them up
Thanks

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
yeah, different scores for all the rounds, with the higher ranked ones requiring not only higher scores, but also to be shot at longer distances (and the top two having to be shot at tournaments).

There are also indoor classification rankings of A through to H (I think).

A16KSB

yeah, different scores for all the rounds, with the higher ranked ones requiring not only higher scores, but also to be shot at longer distances (and the top two having to be shot at tournaments).

There are also indoor classification rankings of A through to H (I think).
Thanks.
I guess using scores is probably the best way, as to some degree it also takes in experience. The challenge I have is that not all the archers take part in these shoots, yet have many years of experience, so the indoor scores might be the solution.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
yeah, they are more a measure of skill rather than experience, but experience is quite hard to measure. There are people in my club who've been involved in archery a lot longer than I have, but do talk utter nonsense and whom I'd avoid for advice. Likewise, some people might know a lot but can't score a lot.

A16KSB

yeah, they are more a measure of skill rather than experience, but experience is quite hard to measure. There are people in my club who've been involved in archery a lot longer than I have, but do talk utter nonsense and whom I'd avoid for advice. Likewise, some people might know a lot but can't score a lot.
Exactly the position I'm in, but I've now decided to scrap the idea, in fact I was wrong in my thinking in the first place.
I've come to the conclusion that if I'm to coach archers, current experience isn't all that important.
Teaching the correct technique, e.g. proper alignment or bow arm is the same no matter how much experience the archer has. In fact some may say it is easier for the novice to learn as they've not got bad habits to fall back to.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Or to make it even simpler, how about handicap? Independent of gender & bow type. Just 100 for a beginner & 0 for perfection. What could be simpler?

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
There are other threads that are about how this is done and what is wrong with the existing systems.
Archeryfox is involved in looking into some of the problems with the current schemes and hopefuly will keep us informed of anything leaking from AGB HQ as to how things are heading

A16KSB

There are other threads that are about how this is done and what is wrong with the existing systems.
Archeryfox is involved in looking into some of the problems with the current schemes and hopefuly will keep us informed of anything leaking from AGB HQ as to how things are heading
I look forward to any update

English Bowman

Exactly the position I'm in, but I've now decided to scrap the idea, in fact I was wrong in my thinking in the first place.
I've come to the conclusion that if I'm to coach archers, current experience isn't all that important.
Teaching the correct technique, e.g. proper alignment or bow arm is the same no matter how much experience the archer has. In fact some may say it is easier for the novice to learn as they've not got bad habits to fall back to.
You say if you are to coach archers, can you add a bit of context to your original question?
Are you wondering what experience you need to have in order to be able to coach, or are you looking for a way to judge if you can help someone by giving them coaching?

A16KSB

You say if you are to coach archers, can you add a bit of context to your original question?
Are you wondering what experience you need to have in order to be able to coach, or are you looking for a way to judge if you can help someone by giving them coaching?
My idea, thinking and the question was wrong in the first place, as I explained " Teaching the correct technique, e.g. proper alignment or bow arm is the same no matter how much experience the archer has. In fact some may say it is easier for the novice to learn as they've not got bad habits to fall back to. "

dgmultimedia

Supporter
Supporter
A Novice doesn't know what is right or wrong, Their body will adopt a form that they "think" is correct...
The skill in Coaching is to adapt that form to be as close to ideal as possible BUT with-in the capabilities, both Physical and Mental, of the Novice to give them the skill to shoot arrows repeatably to a point on the target that they expect them to hit....
"Ideal" form does not work for everyone....! - as a coach you need enough experience to know "how" to adapt a Novices form to improve their performance...

inthemiddle

From a forum point of view it would be nice to know what level people are on here? Talking the talk is one thing but the proof of the pudding is the results people are capable off. I find this helpful when it comes to advice. Armchair experts don't help anyone.

Shirt

From a forum point of view it would be nice to know what level people are on here? Talking the talk is one thing but the proof of the pudding is the results people are capable off. I find this helpful when it comes to advice. Armchair experts don't help anyone.
I'm currently a bit sh*t.
I've been really quite good in the past.
My goal for this year is to be less sh*t.
Hope this helps! :D

Gavin Eisler

Supporter
Supporter
I was introduced to archery in 1968.
Currently I am a B class field bare bow recurve archer according to IFAA standards.
I no nuthin about compounds.
I do know how to break bows and tune arrows, . having broken quite a few, and made thousands of arrows.
Spent a few years on primitive self wood bows.
Learned thumb draw, own a variety of bows from Pyramid style self bows to ILF risers with carbon limbs.
Currently shooting , stringwalking, face crawling barebow field archery. With a bit of Kuk Sool Gung for lite relief.
Make my own strings , tabs , arrows.
As a kid I figured out face crawling then got that drilled out of me when i joined my first club, now enjoy putting it to use with barebow. I have some terrible habits, an overly flamboyant release due to historic arm injuries, snap shooting due to " auto shoot" which is a hard programme to over wright, a tendency to hit high due to fear of burying my arrows in grass thatch, all legacies from zero coaching as a child. My archery heroes are the Basa tribe AKA the pupil smiters , the South Korean women's team and anyone that can shoot from horseback.

Last edited:

imelrose

50 years in and 8 years on the British Field Archery Squad. I’ve never held a coaching qualification, not in archery anyway, but my business is running activities including archery.